Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
OK I give
Posted By: shooz, 10-07-2014, 10:15 PM

I have a bug pic.

There was 20 more where that one came from, but the squirrels ate them all.

Squirrels are no longer my friends. Those where black swallow tail caterpillars.
Views: 1,058
10-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
'Nom nom nom' is the only sound I hear.
10-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

You can keep them as pets till they turn into a butterfly. They just need a small wire cage to hang inside of. And a dill or parsley plant to feed on. They can be kept outdoors during their transformation.
Squirrels are not my friends anymore either. Plenty of acorns and walnuts, but they are killing all my plants.

BTW, nice shot. Have not seen any around here this year.
10-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, squirrels...
It's rare enough to see these butterflies - keeping the right plants around is vital. I haven't seen a black swallowtail in years, and pipevines only at Morton Arboretum.

10-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot.

I'm not happy with squirrels right now either, they wiped out all our pears this year, peaches, did a lot of work on my Roma tomatoes, hitting the pecans real hard right now...a good sized pear tree loaded, we got maybe 6 pears, they wiped it out in 3 or 4 days. Ditto for peaches, we didn't get even one. Not one...Time to go sight in my 22 rifle...
10-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Nice shot.

I'm not happy with squirrels right now either, they wiped out all our pears this year, peaches, did a lot of work on my Roma tomatoes, hitting the pecans real hard right now...a good sized pear tree loaded, we got maybe 6 pears, they wiped it out in 3 or 4 days. Ditto for peaches, we didn't get even one. Not one...Time to go sight in my 22 rifle...

My Dad used to say that he was going to have his chinquapins even if it was second hand. The squirrels were especially fond of those.
10-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Squirrel is delicious. Find a recipe for hasenpfeffer and sub for rabbit. ☺

10-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Squirrel is delicious. Find a recipe for hasenpfeffer and sub for rabbit. ☺
They're just bushy tailed rats. They'll eat anything, go anyplace, and potentially carry the same diseases. They sure are tasty though.