Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
One of many, I am sure
Lens: DA*300 Camera: K-5 IIs Photo Location: Houston, TX ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: MadMathMind, 10-08-2014, 04:34 AM

Shot at 300mm + 1.4x teleconverter for 420mm at f/5.6 (effective) at ISO640 with exposure time of 1s. (Tripod + Mirror up + Remote) Did the best I could. Not even sure how to process the image to make it better.

This was, hands down, the most challenging shooting I've ever tried to do. Trying to nail the focus is like trying to hit a spray a pinhead with a syringe. We also had intermittent clouds rolling through, so I didn't have the time to focus like I needed. Not sure it would have helped. At some point, I was just making microadjustments and hitting shoot.

Name:  attempt.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  229.6 KB

Last edited by MadMathMind; 10-08-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Views: 1,174
10-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done! I wish I'd had the TC and a decent tripod myself! I ended up having to shoot hand held.
For focus, try live view and zoom in using the info button.
10-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
For focus, try live view and zoom in using the info button.
I did. It's so dark that the image is soooo noisy on screen. Hard to tell what is what. It helped a lot, obviously, but only because using the viewfinder is basically impossible.

I took some pictures of the regular moon last night too. Those came out much better with LV + max magnification.
10-08-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice job.

The totality took place at 06:55 local time. However, it was raining and overcast here, so I went back to sleep at 04:00. Maybe next time...

- Craig

10-08-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Correction: I shot this at 300 x 1.4 and f/4 --> f/5.6. I've tried the 2x TC for the moon and found it introduces too many aberrations to be much of an improvement. Plus, with so little light, it would have been even worse to shoot!
10-08-2014, 05:09 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I did. It's so dark that the image is soooo noisy on screen. Hard to tell what is what. It helped a lot, obviously, but only because using the viewfinder is basically impossible. I took some pictures of the regular moon last night too. Those came out much better with LV + max magnification.
I guess that's one case where focus peaking would be a huge advantage!
10-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wowsa

Ok thats very nice ...

10-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I guess that's one case where focus peaking would be a huge advantage!
Used focus peaking on the K-3 and it was quite useful to sharpen the blinkies on the edge of the moon to get a reasonable shot with a 600mm lens. (Won't spam my shot again - available elsewhere.) Tried to use a 2x tele-extender but too blurry under these low light circumstances and finding the moon was an issue at this magnification.
10-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Used focus peaking on the K-3 and it was quite useful to sharpen the blinkies on the edge of the moon to get a reasonable shot with a 600mm lens. (Won't spam my shot again - available elsewhere.) Tried to use a 2x tele-extender but too blurry under these low light circumstances and finding the moon was an issue at this magnification.
Good to know, thanks! I'm still trying not to rush out and buy the K3...
07-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Shot at 300mm + 1.4x teleconverter for 420mm at f/5.6 (effective) at ISO640 with exposure time of 1s. (Tripod + Mirror up + Remote) Did the best I could. Not even sure how to process the image to make it better.

This was, hands down, the most challenging shooting I've ever tried to do. Trying to nail the focus is like trying to hit a spray a pinhead with a syringe. We also had intermittent clouds rolling through, so I didn't have the time to focus like I needed. Not sure it would have helped. At some point, I was just making microadjustments and hitting shoot.

Attachment 239866
One good shot!