Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Girl in a bar
Lens: Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Geobar ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F1.4 
Posted By: Hattifnatt, 10-09-2014, 01:10 AM

Met this girl in a bar, she did not allow me to take photos of her saying she was not photogenic, but a bit later she wasn't looking so I took my chance! she liked the picture afterwards

Views: 3,494
10-09-2014, 01:21 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
she did not allow me to take photos of her saying she was not photogenic
It's a real shame a lot of lassies think the same, when in truth it's usually the exact opposite, it's all about confidence.
10-09-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

interesting story for a nice photo
10-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clever treatment of a shot that really works for me - it has a mysterious feel that I enjoy.

Jer

10-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like this one a lot. Too bad because sigma art is pricey to jump into buying. Looks really special!
10-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the appreciation. Indeed I think Sigma is an amazing lens when it gets good conditions, which is why probably the lens is underperforming because of my (lack of) skills right now. I managed to get some awful pictures with it. That being said, while I'm really satisfied with this picture, I don't think I absolutely needed the Sigma for this shot.
10-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I managed to get some awful pictures with it. That being said, while I'm really satisfied with this picture, I don't think I absolutely needed the Sigma for this shot.
Still, it's special, imo. I've checked flickr sets for this lens. Very impressive.

10-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Like this shot.

Makes me wonder what is on the other side.

Tom G
10-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Like this shot. Makes me wonder what is on the other side.

Thank you. Hope I'm not spoiling it but there was another girl on the other side of the table as far as I can remember
10-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great image!!

This is so sneaky!

JP
10-24-2014, 03:58 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Really nice one.
I think you gave that girl a nice boost of self esteem... of her back.
10-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually yes, she kinda got like 80+ likes on FB using this a profile picture.
10-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
... she did not allow me to take photos of her ...
For what it's worth, I think that you (or her) liking the end result does not make the act any less disrespectful.
10-26-2014, 03:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -Spooky- Quote
For what it's worth, I think that you (or her) liking the end result does not make the act any less disrespectful.
Yes, you're kinda right, this is one of the problems that I have with this kind of photography, for me at least. Most of the times I end up being respectful and I've missed quite a lot of great shots, to my eyes at least. I don't know what should I do, if I ask beforehand people have the tendency to say no, not to mention that sometimes you ruin the moment by doing this. Lately I have developed the habit of taking the picture anyway, sometimes even without asking, then I approach the subject, show the photo and ask them if they want it deleted or not. It was this exact situation here and she chose to keep the photo, also allowed me to post it online.
10-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have also had many people decline when I ask to take a pic. There was a big hu-hu over a pic that I took without asking and it escalated into the police showing up and problems.
I agree, it's quite unsettling. I see entire books being sold and bought, of shots that were obviously taken without permission.
I have decided that ethically, if I ask, and they decline, then it is wrong for me to do it anyways, and I think you crossed the line there.
If I don't ask, then I think that the image is mine, and they have no recourse, right or privilege of demanding that I delete it. I don't delete images. I may decide not to use them, but I keep them.
One person suggested that a better way to do this kind of photography, when you want happy smiling faces is to seek consent with the eyes. If that is acknowledged then snap away. Very quick and sure way of getting those.
Unfortunately that does not get you the pics that show people in a variety of expressions and poses.
For that you just have to snap, get the pic and do it without asking or worrying about their consent. It's gonna be a problem.