Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Illustrations part 2
Posted By: regken, 05-15-2008, 09:08 AM

The encouragement a lot of you gave me last time I posted some illustrations got me to work on the process. So I decided to use the bench as a trial image for refining my style. It is close and I went back in different light conditions, used various focal lengths, and f stops for DOF control. Processed them several ways and learned a lot. The difference between these two is just the crop. keep in mind I'm not going for technical excellence but a "feel" to the image. Got any comments?

Thanks.

Ken

Last edited by regken; 05-21-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Views: 2,888
05-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice Ken, I'll take the second one it's a bit more open
05-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ken,

I agree with Heinrich that the second one is the stronger composition. For me personally, it is much stronger.

Stephen
05-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Forum Member

the pp is really neat looking, wanna give any tips?

05-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

space

The second crop gives the neccesary space to the image. Without that space the view from the bench is removed, and there is no rationale for the bench to be in the shot. I vote for No. 2.
05-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by momtographer Quote
the pp is really neat looking, wanna give any tips?
If you have Lightroom you can start here:
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips Video - Surreal Edgy Effect
then take as many liberties as you can think of. The process doesn't work well on all images. Don't be afraid give the WB slides kick, it can make a big difference.

have some fun with it.
Ken
05-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Nice Ken, I also like the second one. The only problem I have with it is that it looks like you haven't done anything to the top right hand third of the picture. It looks, to me, a bit like a photo and a painting cobbled together.
Gary

05-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice Ken, I also like the second one. The only problem I have with it is that it looks like you haven't done anything to the top right hand third of the picture. It looks, to me, a bit like a photo and a painting cobbled together.
Gary
Hmm, Interesting observation, I see what you mean. The first time I shot it I opened the aperture more and that area was blurry but got a few comments that people didn't like that. Well, it's back to lightroom for another try.

Thanks,

ken
05-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Hmm, Interesting observation, I see what you mean. The first time I shot it I opened the aperture more and that area was blurry but got a few comments that people didn't like that. Well, it's back to lightroom for another try.

Thanks,

ken
Hey Ken, we all know practice makes perfect right, don't see it as going back to lightroom for another try, look at it as going back to learn something new.
Gary
05-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Ken, we all know practice makes perfect right, don't see it as going back to lightroom for another try, look at it as going back to learn something new.
Gary
Gary,
I added a third photo with some work done on the far shoreline and sky. Does the whole thing look more balanced as an illustration?
Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by regken; 05-15-2008 at 01:40 PM.
05-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Gary,
I added a third photo with some work done on the far shoreline and sky. Does the whole thing look more balanced as an illustration?
Thanks,
Ken
Much better Ken, I don't think it matters much about the sky but the trees and rocks below it look much more balanced with the rest of the picture. Have you tried printing any of them yet?
Gary
05-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The 3rd photo seems to have a bit more contrast. I like it. It helps give a bit more depth and detail to the shot. Once again I like where you are going with this style. I look forward to seeing your future posts.
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Much better Ken, I don't think it matters much about the sky but the trees and rocks below it look much more balanced with the rest of the picture. Have you tried printing any of them yet?
Gary
I printed up a couple of my early attempts. A friend of mine had to put down her horse after twenty years and I managed to grab a shot just before that. Printed it at 14 X11 and it was a real hit, many many tears.

I'm very impressed with Adorama. The prints came back and matched the screen image perfectly.

Ken
05-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Wonderful shots here and I have to agree that #2 is the definite winner the extra portion on the side still intact.

I know it was tough not going with the traditional 4:3 aspect, but everything in this era is going wider and 2:3 looks so awesome in landscape.

Thanks for sharing and wonderful story at the end.
05-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Cool effect and I like it.