Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Auto Show in Huntsville AL
Lens: Pentax 77 Limited Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Huntsville AL 
Posted By: thix2112, 10-09-2014, 05:13 PM

Auto show a few weeks ago in my Huntsville AL neighborhood. This was my first shoot with my new Pentax K-3 using a 77mm Limited.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 1,290
10-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

Love the black and white. I like the point of view they were taken from.
10-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #3

the simplicity of no 2 and 3 work for me...
10-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent detail shots and the B&W conversions are super - cool stuff.

Jer

10-10-2014, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the complements. When I get home this evening I will post the b&w conversion workflow I used in Aperture if anyone is interested.
Tom
10-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thix2112 Quote
Thanks to all for the complements. When I get home this evening I will post the b&w conversion workflow I used in Aperture if anyone is interested.
Tom
Hey Tom - I'd appreciate it if you would. I do a fair amount of B&W with Aperture and it would be interesting to see your approach!

Jer
10-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
B&W Aperture warm tone work flow

Jer -

I really enjoy black and white photography. I subscribe to LensWork magazine and their web site. LensWork specializes in black and white photography and the prints they publish have a warm tone effect the I really like. Brooks Jensen published his instructions using Adobe Lightroom to obtain this effect. Since I am not a Lightroom user, I poked around the web to find out if anyone published instructions to get this effect using Apple Aperture - and sure enough, there was. Here is the website that describes the general workflow that I use:

Aperture ? better black & white ? laROQUE - photographe.photographer.montreal

The key is when you get to the saturation slider toward the end, you really de-saturate the strong brown tones in the photo from using the RGB curve adjustments.

I use the adjustments in the Levels brick to get the final contrast i am trying to obtain.

I also use either the Sharpen or Edge Sharpen brick to sharpen the photo to my liking.

This really helped me understand the use of opening a second Curves brick and adjusting either the red-blue-green curves. It helped if I looked at a color wheel to see exactly how the curve adjustments work for each of the color curves. In other words, as you pull and move each of the curves, you can create any tone you want on your photo - not just a warm, brown tone.

I find this method gives me much more control creativity than just using the Sepia Tone brick.

Finally, after you do this method a few times, it becomes second nature and you really can get the photo looking the way you want fairly quickly. Or you can establish a pre-set and hit your pre-set button to get you to the general effect then fine-tune.

Enjoy!
Tom

PS - I also use this method for film as I develop my own black and white film, then scan and edit in Aperture. Made with old Pentax film cameras, a medium format Mamiya RB65 and a Yashicamat 124G for making B&W photos. Fun stuff!

Last edited by thix2112; 10-10-2014 at 04:55 PM.