Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
It was bound to happen sooner or later...
Lens: Sigma 75-300mm DL f/4-5.6 zoom Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: Prince Gallitzin State Park 
Posted By: Auzzie-Phoenix, 10-10-2014, 01:26 AM

I'm feeling a bit full of myself right now since I actually have some (to me, leastways) decent pictures from the lake for a change. I finally figured out how to photograph the moon, thanks to reading the forums and peeking at exif data. I tried bulb mode tonight with the remote. Even got some semi-decent landscapes. Even if I did have to take about 100 pictures and delete 40% of them. Forgot to charge the primary battery after last night's shots, and forgot the sd card on my desk, fortunately I had spares of both with me. It was cloudy most of the night, but I caught some luck and the clouds cleared out for a bit. The images are below, we'll start with the moon shot, as that's been a long time coming along.

This was the best of my moon shots. This image is stored in my PF album, so the exif data should be available.

One of the later moon shots, I was playing around with shutter speed and iso settings. This particular one was shot @ 1/6000 shutter, iso 1600, aperture f/4.0 . The fast shutter speed obviously made the image dim a bit, which in part led to the overdriven blue color from the kelvin temp. WB setting I have set of 2600k. Also, this image lacks the clarity of detail in the lunar surface that the above shot shows (just a bit less).

My first REAL attempt to capture an image using bulb mode. There is a decently busy road behind the covered bridge, so I ended up with interesting headlight and tail light trails in the image. I had attempted to focus on the covered bridge, but couldn't see it due to lack of light illuminating the far end of the pond. The moon was behind the clouds at this point. Once I noticed the hot pixels in the image, I tried pixel mapping but didn't have enough batt. charge left to run it.

Some trees along the shoreline of the pond.

It might seem as though the camera wasn't level, but the bridge in the image actually is on an angle.

What I consider to be one of the best shots I took tonight. I did take more, but I think that the ones posted are the best out the remaining 30-40 images out of the nearly 100 shot tonight.
Views: 1,166