Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Ricketts Glen
Posted By: nomadkng, 10-10-2014, 09:42 AM

From my trip to the Poconos last week and a hike through Ricketts Glen:

It was a ~3.5 mile R/T hike 1000 feet down and a 1000 feet back up (and nearly all stairs). Left the parking lot at 7a and got back to car about 4p. Was probably one of the most enjoyable hikes I've undertaken. Glad I got a chance to scratch it off my bucket list.

Last edited by nomadkng; 05-06-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Views: 1,857
10-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
ND filter, I'm assuming? -Dewman
Actually, the day was overcast and I never did need an ND, just a CPL. In fact, my shutter speeds were so long at f13-f16 I wanted to take off the CPL, but there was enough filtered gray sunlight that I would get nasty reflections off water surfaces without the polarizer, so I left it on. In fact, I would be reminded how much I need the CPL when I would change from vertical to horizontal composition, or vice versa and forget to rotate the filter!

For the most part, all my Ricketts Glen shots were f13-f16 and about 30 seconds in the am and about 10 seconds in the afternoon. I experimented with higher iso and larger apertures to get exposures down to as little as 1/5 of second, but I did not like the end result when processing them.

Of course all were shot using a tripod, and I did experiment a couple times with a graduated ND when the foliage above a waterfall was getting a little more sunlight than I liked.

My biggest regret is that its a 4.5 hour plan flight + a 3 hour drive from Phoenix. There's about 5 waterfalls I'd like to reshoot, now that I've had one go round. There were some compositions I missed and I'd like to see the park with more water flow, it seemed very low compared to some images I've seen.

10-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Actually, the day was overcast and I never did need an ND, just a CPL. In fact, my shutter speeds were so long at f13-f16 I wanted to take off the CPL, but there was enough filtered gray sunlight that I would get nasty reflections off water surfaces without the polarizer, so I left it on. In fact, I would be reminded how much I need the CPL when I would change from vertical to horizontal composition, or vice versa and forget to rotate the filter!

For the most part, all my Ricketts Glen shots were f13-f16 and about 30 seconds in the am and about 10 seconds in the afternoon. I experimented with higher iso and larger apertures to get exposures down to as little as 1/5 of second, but I did not like the end result when processing them.

Of course all were shot using a tripod, and I did experiment a couple times with a graduated ND when the foliage above a waterfall was getting a little more sunlight than I liked.

My biggest regret is that its a 4.5 hour plan flight + a 3 hour drive from Phoenix. There's about 5 waterfalls I'd like to reshoot, now that I've had one go round. There were some compositions I missed and I'd like to see the park with more water flow, it seemed very low compared to some images I've seen.

I always love a man with a plan, and you certainly seem like you've got a good one! Your patience and photographic knowledge produced some remarkable images. I'd love to see more when you make the trip again.

I plan on making a trip to Multnomah Falls in Oregon next spring. Hopefully, I can come home with some half as good as yours!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Simply beautiful.
10-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I always love a man with a plan, and you certainly seem like you've got a good one! Your patience and photographic knowledge produced some remarkable images. I'd love to see more when you make the trip again.

I plan on making a trip to Multnomah Falls in Oregon next spring. Hopefully, I can come home with some half as good as yours!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
I have two suggestions about Multnomah Falls - #1 go early am on a WEEKDAY. Its a north facing waterfall that gets back lit a little in pm PLUS it gets overrun with people on the upper bridge. Weekends are an ABOSLUTE ZOO! #2 there are 3-4 other waterfalls in the area less than a mile each way hiking wise. Try to squeeze in a couple.

10-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I have two suggestions about Multnomah Falls - #1 go early am on a WEEKDAY. Its a north facing waterfall that gets back lit a little in pm PLUS it gets overrun with people on the upper bridge. Weekends are an ABOSLUTE ZOO! #2 there are 3-4 other waterfalls in the area less than a mile each way hiking wise. Try to squeeze in a couple.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely shots. I miss waterfalls!