Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First time shooting a wee one
Posted By: bigben91682, 05-15-2008, 01:09 PM

I did a mother's day shoot for some friends who just adopted a baby girl. It was the first time I have ever shot an infant (who is only 5 weeks old) so I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't have kids of my own, so I don't even know how to handle the little buggers....what's allowed, what isn't and all that jazz.

Anyway their other kid, named Noah, was probably the most photogenic kid I have ever worked with, he was loving it!

Here are the results, I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Views: 1,207
05-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Damn Brit

You have created some memories for that family Ben.
I couldn't help seeing the irony of your Forum ID and the subject matter, maybe you should start a business:
BIG BEN, BABY PHOTOGRAPHER
LOL
Gary
05-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I like it!
05-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Damn Brit

BTW, I liked the B&W best (babies tend to have strange skin tones don't they?) but, and this an exception to my usual taste, I also liked the last one, great pose, very natural looking.

05-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a very nice series Ben, the B/W works good but IMHO the last one is the best one.
05-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I appreciate your kind words. I agree that the skin tone on babies can be tricky. This one also had some peeling skin around the top of her forehead (which I guess is common for newborns?) so my spot healing brush got a work-out.

It's funny that you say the last one is very natural looking because she didn't actually know I was shooting, I was on their deck switching lenses and snuck this one in before they knew I was ready to go again...she was just chilling out with the baby waiting for me..and of course it end up being one of my favorites...
05-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
I

It's funny that you say the last one is very natural looking because she didn't actually know I was shooting, I was on their deck switching lenses and snuck this one in before they knew I was ready to go again...she was just chilling out with the baby waiting for me..and of course it end up being one of my favorites...
That's why it's natural looking, unless a model is professional, I find that when most people pose it does look contrived.
05-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
That's why it's natural looking, unless a model is professional, I find that when most people pose it does look contrived.
I agree, all my favorite photo's are of when people aren't paying attention to the camera.

05-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice series Ben - I am sure they will be very happy with the results. As for holding babies ... I did it ...so it can't be all that hard (my wife even let me hold them before they had neck muscles ) and my kids survived ..but I rememeber being nervous the first time.