Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
On the Coast
Lens: Takumar 135 f/2.5, A 50 f/1.2 Camera: A7r Photo Location: Oregon coast 
Posted By: scratchpaddy, 10-12-2014, 04:56 PM

About a month ago, I went up to Oregon to visit my parents for a week. We went on hikes about every other day, and I got plenty of good pictures, but some of my favorites were from our trips to the beach. It's not often that I get to take pictures of dogs running around outside the confines of the dog park back home in Tempe.

My parents have a 10-year-old Schnauzer named Louie.

Skippy does her best to get him to play, which only sometimes works. She resorts to scaring him enough that he runs away, and then she gives chase.

We came across a couple throwing a ball into the waves for their pair of German Shorthaired Pointers.

As is her habit, Skippy stole their ball and ran away into the dune grasses. She quickly lost interest when the other dogs didn't start chasing her, though, and I was able to give the ball back.

One beach had a small stream crossing it which was a little too deep for Louie. Dad had to carry him across...

...both ways. By this time, he'd gotten a little wet, probably after Skippy chased him into the water. He looked like a limp dishrag.

Views: 1,485
10-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's a great set, and serious MF skills on display...does the Sony let you "catch-in-focus"?
10-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That's a great set, and serious MF skills on display...does the Sony let you "catch-in-focus"?
Thank you! The Sony has no such feature , but it does have competent focus peaking and an adequate burst mode (4-5 fps), though it's not nearly as fast as Pentax's flagships. I mainly bought it so I could use the insane number of 50mm lenses out there as actual "normal" lenses, my favorite focal length. I've wound up using the Pentax-A 50 f/1.2 almost exclusively since I got the Sony. It's such an amazing lens. Every picture except the first was taken with it.
10-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I've wound up using the Pentax-A 50 f/1.2 almost exclusively since I got the Sony. It's such an amazing lens.

You and Kerrowdown really showcase that lens--I'd like to have a barrel of them to sell once FF drops.

10-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent set of action shots BTW did I say I love dogs????
10-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very nice series Ian with the focus being very selective.----charliezap
10-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You and Kerrowdown really showcase that lens--I'd like to have a barrel of them to sell once FF drops.
I'd like to have a barrel of them so I could have a backup for mine, and a backup for my backup, and a backup....

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Excellent set of action shots BTW did I say I love dogs????
So I've heard! I bet Hubble would like the beach, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A very nice series Ian with the focus being very selective.----charliezap
Thanks, Charlie! I am a bit obsessed with narrow focus.

10-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I've wound up using the Pentax-A 50 f/1.2 almost exclusively since I got the Sony
Know that feeling, I'm having a fairly serious affair with my "Special Lady" (SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2) just now... she just seems to be always there mounted up and ready to go.

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2014 at 03:57 PM ----------

You and Kerrowdown really showcase that lens
Thanks.

I'd like to have a barrel of them to sell once FF drops
Aye, my "Special Lady" is getting quite excited cos I told FF was coming... but that was several years ago now, she has called me a liar on more than one occasion.