Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lunar Eclipse Phases
Lens: Tamron 55B (Adaptall-2, 500 mm Mirror) Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Davis, CA ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: emalvick, 10-12-2014, 06:57 PM

I'm sure these shots have been overdone, but on this occasion I actually took a series of photos of which I'm sharing four here (in chronological order). The first shot is the full moon on the evening of Oct 7, and the remaining three are photos of the Lunar Eclipse on the morning of Oct 8 starting with total and as it comes out of the Earth's shadow.

The shots were all taken with the Tamron 500 mm Mirror lens on my K5 mounted on a tripod. The shots were taken at a few ISO levels (1600 for the total eclipse, 100 for the Slightly less than total, and I believe 400 for the remaining two shots). I'm not 100% happy with how the slightly less than total came out, mostly because I used DxO for processing, and I'm not too good with it yet. The other three were processed in Lightroom. I feel that DxO can be the better software, but I think this particular lens isn't suited for that program (no profile exists within the software). For comparison, the Total Eclipse was a similar exposure (without the sliver of sun on the upper surface of the moon), and the processing turned out better. I'll likely reprocess the DxO image before printing. I think I'll put together a panorama type composite with a bit more care.

Views: 942
10-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A nice series! I missed the eclipse again due to bad weather but I'm glad to see the shots everyone else got.