Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Infrared converted Pentax DSLRs
Posted By: MichalW, 10-14-2014, 02:28 AM

Hi Everyone!

Having a bit more time recently I decided to do something with my first Pentax DSLR, K-x. Since I got myself two K-5 IIs my red K-x spend it's time in the box. Then, one day I got this idea to try IR photography and since sending your camera to a company that does the job costs around 400$ I decided to try DIY. All together it took me around 4 hours, It was a bit difficult because I couldn't find any info on how to get to the camera's sensor(I mean step by step). I guess Pentax cameras are not very popular IR material. Now i know why SR as glorious system it is, it is also a pain in the neck when you need to get to the sensor and getting it apart is not as challenging as putting it back together

But I did it! and here are two of the first photos I took with my RED Infrared concerted K-x. Anyone else tried to convert their Pentax? Feel free to share your thoughts and IR photos

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by MichalW; 10-14-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Views: 1,405
10-14-2014, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice
10-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

i'm not familiar with IR cameras....could you not have achieved the same result via Photoshop channel mixers? I like the soft trees in the top pic...
10-15-2014, 01:04 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shaynej Quote
i'm not familiar with IR cameras....could you not have achieved the same result via Photoshop channel mixers? I like the soft trees in the top pic...
Well you can do anything in Photoshop... but in this case is not the same. Those pics were taken in the afternoon when the sun wasn't that strong so trees didn't glow as much. Glad you like the pics

10-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots... I have a K10D that I'm thinking about having converted but like you, hate having to spend upwards of $400 to get it done.

Mike
10-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Very nice dramatic shots.---charliezap
10-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I converted my *ist DS years ago (thanks to the IR filter that Frank sourced me!) and I currently have at least two large prints from it currently framed and on display. I did it myself, for all of $10 IIRC. At one point I posted disassembly steps, I forget where they got to.

A couple from the Adirondacks:

One from the Philadelphia National Cemetery:

10-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A cheaper solution is to pick up an old *istDS or K1000D for around $100.

Any of the old 6MP cameras seem to be pretty sensitive to IR, although of course you're then looking at a lower resolution and longer shutter times.

Here's an image I shot quite a few years ago with an *istDS. ISO 800, F8 and 1/8sec. These days I just use a Sigma SD14 which has an easily popped out IR/UV blocking filter. Enables me to use 'normal' shutter speeds for BW IR, but I haven't worked out how to get good false colour IR images from it.
Attached Images

10-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MichalW Quote
Hi Everyone!

Having a bit more time recently I decided to do something with my first Pentax DSLR, K-x. Since I got myself two K-5 IIs my red K-x spend it's time in the box. Then, one day I got this idea to try IR photography and since sending your camera to a company that does the job costs around 400$ I decided to try DIY. All together it took me around 4 hours, It was a bit difficult because I couldn't find any info on how to get to the camera's sensor(I mean step by step). I guess Pentax cameras are not very popular IR material. Now i know why SR as glorious system it is, it is also a pain in the neck when you need to get to the sensor and getting it apart is not as challenging as putting it back together

But I did it! and here are two of the first photos I took with my RED Infrared concerted K-x. Anyone else tried to convert their Pentax? Feel free to share your thoughts and IR photos
Beautiful pics! I'm very attracted by the IR, but I want to buy filters, even if I know that it is difficult because you can't use viewfinder. But I only have one dslr and it is new...
Anyway, if you have time and you want, you can make a "how to" that could be useful for all the other members that are interested and maybe someone else could contribute with pics or tips about the specific cameras...
Just an idea.
Anyway, great job!
10-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote

Any of the old 6MP cameras seem to be pretty sensitive to IR, although of course you're then looking at a lower resolution and longer shutter times.

Here's an image I shot quite a few years ago with an *istDS. ISO 800, F8 and 1/8sec.
Converted cameras should all be reasonably sensitive to IR. My first shot I posted above (taken really early morning in overcast conditions) was taken at f/8 1/60th ISO 200. Not sure of the second picture, I would guess about 1/250th.

Also, there is a LOT more resolution in the 6MP cameras once you pop out the AA filter. They sharpen up nicely to 16"x24" prints, easily.
10-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I should have been more precise.

I was talking about unconverted cameras. You can use the *istDS, etc without the need to convert them. You just end up having to use slower shutter speeds than with a converted camera.
10-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Nice shots... I have a K10D that I'm thinking about having converted but like you, hate having to spend upwards of $400 to get it done.

Mike
Well if u decide to do it yourself it's around 20-30$, you just need to buy IR lens filter and cut it to the size of the IR-cut filter that is in front of the camera's sensor..

---------- Post added 10-17-14 at 11:42 AM ----------

Sorry, I should have been more precise.

I was talking about unconverted cameras. You can use the *istDS, etc without the need to convert them. You just end up having to use slower shutter speeds than with a converted camera.
Yeah, that's why I decided to convert my camera, no need of caring around your tripod ect.

---------- Post added 10-17-14 at 11:44 AM ----------

Here's an image I shot quite a few years ago with an *istDS. ISO 800, F8 and 1/8sec. These days I just use a Sigma SD14 which has an easily popped out IR/UV blocking filter. Enables me to use 'normal' shutter speeds for BW IR, but I haven't worked out how to get good false colour IR images from it.
Very nice pics fwwidall, these days K-x is a very affordable camera with nice specs and without AA filter it's very sharp

---------- Post added 10-17-14 at 11:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
Beautiful pics! I'm very attracted by the IR, but I want to buy filters, even if I know that it is difficult because you can't use viewfinder. But I only have one dslr and it is new...
Anyway, if you have time and you want, you can make a "how to" that could be useful for all the other members that are interested and maybe someone else could contribute with pics or tips about the specific cameras...
Just an idea.
Anyway, great job!
Should have recorded the whole operation I don't think I'm gonna do it again any time soon especially that putting SR system back together is quite tricky