Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Juvenile Honeyeaters
Lens: DA55-300 Camera: K30 ISO: 400 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Cee Cee, 10-14-2014, 04:24 AM

the juvenile honeyeaters are quite used of me hanging around now, they really allow me to get quite close, in fact at times when they fly away they fly toward me and buzz past a few inches from my ear before flying off. Minimum focus distance on the DA55-300 has come into play! Hopefully this will continue when they mature, Its harder to absolutely nail the focus on the eye and I get a many missed shots due to the grey colour in the eye not proving enough contrast for the AF, I've noticed the shots when I do get the focus ok it may be because there is a catch light in the eye, the mature birds eye is like a perfect AF target being white with back center.

Views: 1,576
10-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #2

Dude, you have some gorgeous photos there! You have my admiration!
10-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cee Cee, I don't have a clue how you get these miraculous photos of birds! So sharp, full frame, great color and bokeh! I can't get within 50 yards of them and they skedaddle on me! Nice work, "dude"!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shots Colin.I used that same lens for my recent posting of the birds at my feeder.--charliezap

10-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #5

Ok, I get it, I have to lose the "dude".
10-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

more great bird shots CC, beautiful birds and hopefully a continued friendship for you.
10-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another great series of these wonderful little birds.

10-15-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PixelGeek Quote
Dude, you have some gorgeous photos there! You have my admiration!
thank you so much for your comments, much appreciated, I'm ok with dude but probably should be "old dude" cheers

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Cee Cee, I don't have a clue how you get these miraculous photos of birds! So sharp, full frame, great color and bokeh! I can't get within 50 yards of them and they skedaddle on me! Nice work, "dude"!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
thanks for your nice comments, I've been trying to shoot these birds for a couple of years now, and your right it's generally not easy at all and hard to get close, In the past I've been happy to get one reasonable shot a session trying to track them down in the wild(park lands). This year there has been a family or two nesting in a tree across the road, and they can't keep away from the nectar of the "Bottle Brush" tree I have in my front yard which has given me many opportunities, the juveniles seem a lot less timid and have grown accustom to me being nearby with my camera, & making really poor imitation bird noises to let them know I'm there so they don't get startled.
cheers

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very nice shots Colin.I used that same lens for my recent posting of the birds at my feeder.--charliezap
thanks Charlie, I think it's a great lens, so easy to hand hold, f8 and keep the shutter speed up by pushing the ISO

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
more great bird shots CC, beautiful birds and hopefully a continued friendship for you.
than you Bob for those comments, I'm hoping as they mature they keep coming back & next year they might return to the same tree to nest, I'm no expert so I don't really know, but I'm hoping, cheers

---------- Post added 10-15-14 at 07:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Another great series of these wonderful little birds.
thanks for that Bruce, happy to get the opportunity to shoot these little guys, bit of a distraction though when I should be working cheers

Last edited by Cee Cee; 10-15-2014 at 01:51 AM.
10-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Man, these are good - I just can't get this kind of sharpness from my 55-300, at least when it's fully extended - probably because I'm a shaky old geezer!

Jer
10-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Man, these are good - I just can't get this kind of sharpness from my 55-300, at least when it's fully extended - probably because I'm a shaky old geezer!

Jer
thanks for your comments Jer, I found my copy to be sharp right from start but did take the time to fine tune the auto focus setting, which I think helps under certain conditions. I try to use f8 to get the best out of the lens, and shutter speeds above 1/350s (preferably above 1/500s) to minimize camera shake, this means I have to push the ISO up and I quite often shoot at 800 or 1600 even in reasonable light, in good light I don't find any noise problems at all at 1600. Having said that I don't always follow my own rules these were all f8, 400iso, @ 1/90, 1/180, 1/125, 1/350.
cheers.
10-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some very lovely little birds, and so lovingly captured! Indeed you must be the "bird whisper!"
10-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Some very lovely little birds, and so lovingly captured! Indeed you must be the "bird whisper!"
thank you for those kind words, I do appreciate the comments, "bird whisper" , maybe "bird mumbler"
cheers