Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
the Land of Cowboys and Indians
Lens: 18-250mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Monument Valley 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 10-17-2014, 12:15 PM

This is the same view I had as a young boy while we were on vacation in the 50's and traveling into Monument Valley. My mind raced about the thought of seeing the Calvary chasing bands of Indians that had just attacked a wagon train. This is the land of John Wayne and so many hero's that I had seen on the Big Screen.

Attached Images

Views: 1,826
10-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #2

Very nice!
10-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the time I am not a big fan of this kind of sepia-ish treatment. But perhaps it is because of the epic proportions the stories about the conquest of the west have acquired in your culture and even somewhat in my country that this is a very positive exception to that rule. Well done Bob!
10-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Great road picture....and by that, I don't mean the old Bing Crosby/Bob Hope motion pictures.

Very well done, Bob and you made the correct decision to use B+W.

Excellent !

10-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From Jer: A stunning and cunning landscape, old buddy - really amazing.

All I can say is:

10-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice image Bob and I do like the P.P.
10-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Brooke Meyer

Spectacular vista, I bet it just makes you stop. I've no doubt there were heroes but movies are make believe and I've always struggled to understand how folks think John Wayne was a hero. A fine actor certainly, but it was all just make believe. My sons are Marines. When the enemy tried to kill them, nobody ever yelled "Cut".

10-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Spectacular vista, I bet it just makes you stop. I've no doubt there were heroes but movies are make believe and I've always struggled to understand how folks think John Wayne was a hero. A fine actor certainly, but it was all just make believe. My sons are Marines. When the enemy tried to kill them, nobody ever yelled "Cut".
My reference to "hero" was through the eyes of a ten year old and I meant no disrespect to the real hero's that serve the United States and protect us each day. Thank you for their service, this from my heart. A real hero on the big screen back in the day was Audie Murphy and many others that served.
10-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
Very nice!
thanks Ted, glad you like it.

---------- Post added 10-18-14 at 03:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Most of the time I am not a big fan of this kind of sepia-ish treatment. But perhaps it is because of the epic proportions the stories about the conquest of the west have acquired in your culture and even somewhat in my country that this is a very positive exception to that rule. Well done Bob!
thanks Remco, the Old West does have some great stories, a lot of them exaggerated but they were tough people that crossed this barren land in search of a new life.

---------- Post added 10-18-14 at 03:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great road picture....and by that, I don't mean the old Bing Crosby/Bob Hope motion pictures.

Very well done, Bob and you made the correct decision to use B+W.

Excellent !
now there's something I forgot all about, all of those great road pictures. I used the b/w type treatment because that's the way I remembered it years ago, no color whatsoever but I was thinking about the cowboys roaming around.

---------- Post added 10-18-14 at 03:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
From Jer: A stunning and cunning landscape, old buddy - really amazing.

All I can say is:

Steppenwolf - Born to be wild 1969 - YouTube
well you got me there for a minute, actually longer, but then I remembered the scenes from Easy Rider. There have been so many movies made out this way and I see that the new Bob Seger album cover is from the same location that I shot this photo.
10-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter

A very nice perspective on that shot Bob.--charliezap
10-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
the Land of Cowboys and Indians
See for me that's the ultimate road trip image, aka sort of "Vanishing Point" style, not cowboys or indians.
10-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #12

Nice romantic photo Bob, but I was thinking more along the lines of run Forest run...........Bas
10-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

When I look at the picture, I see ravaged native Americans defending their land from the stereo type Hollywood heroes.
10-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
. . . . . . . . . . well you got me there for a minute, actually longer, but then I remembered the scenes from Easy Rider. There have been so many movies made out this way and I see that the new Bob Seger album cover is from the same location that I shot this photo.
Buddy, you've given me more credit for making sophisticated connections than I deserve. I just saw that long stretch of highway with a curve near the horizon and the lyric "Get your motor runnin', head out on the highway. . . . ." popped into my head. I remember seeing Easy Rider but I have to admit I remember nothing about the movie other than some guys riding motorcycles.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 10-20-2014 at 04:14 PM.
10-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by basquist02 Quote
Nice romantic photo Bob, but I was thinking more along the lines of run Forest run...........Bas
hey Bas, take a look at this thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/272303-landscape-what-who-where.html

---------- Post added 10-21-14 at 08:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A very nice perspective on that shot Bob.--charliezap
thanks Charlie, glad you enjoyed the view.

---------- Post added 10-21-14 at 08:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
When I look at the picture, I see ravaged native Americans defending their land from the stereo type Hollywood heroes.
I see your point, history has recognized that but it sure took awhile.

---------- Post added 10-21-14 at 08:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Buddy, you've given me more credit for making sophisticated connections than I deserve. I just saw that long stretch of highway with a curve near the horizon and the lyric "Get your motor runnin', head out on the highway. . . . ." popped into my head. I remember seeing Easy Rider but I have to admit I remember nothing about the movie other than some guys riding motorcycles.

Jer
Jer, here's a scene from the movie where they are traveling through Monument Valley at dusk, great song too.