Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Days of Future Passed
Photo Location: Arizona 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 10-19-2014, 08:45 PM

We visited the old mining/ghost town of Chloride in Arizona and spotted this gas station which was in pretty good shape considering ages of neglect.

Attached Images

Views: 2,197
10-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice shot...B+W works well. Odd place for a gas station, so close to the tracks.
10-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love stumbling on things like this. Maybe we crossed paths... we were driving through Arizona, Utah, and Nevada last week. Nice find!
10-20-2014, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
We visited the old mining/ghost town of Chloride in Arizona and spotted this gas station which was in pretty good shape considering ages of neglect.
A monochrome gas station is a rare find. They were usually built in monochrome towns. As people moved away to multi-colored towns, their former homes fell into disrepair, and monochrome gas stations like this one were the only structures to remain standing in places like Monochromeville, AK.

10-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool shot, brother Bob. Reminds of depression-era photos.

Jer
10-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice shot...B+W works well. Odd place for a gas station, so close to the tracks.
the town has been resurrected several times I think. The tracks were added later to give a train ride through the ghost town.
10-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think I missed this one when I was there.

10-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I love stumbling on things like this. Maybe we crossed paths... we were driving through Arizona, Utah, and Nevada last week. Nice find!
could be Jerry, we were in AZ and now in NV, love this old mining camp stuff, so much to photograph.

---------- Post added 10-20-14 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Cool shot, brother Bob. Reminds of depression-era photos.

Jer
I got this program DxO filmpack and you can apply the different filters to photos, some come out pretty cool, others not so. thanks bud for taking a look.
10-21-2014, 04:09 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Interesting shot, I wonder why the caution sign for something called sanded oil.
10-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3party Quote
A monochrome gas station is a rare find. They were usually built in monochrome towns. As people moved away to multi-colored towns, their former homes fell into disrepair, and monochrome gas stations like this one were the only structures to remain standing in places like Monochromeville, AK.
I didn't realize there was color in the world until my parents got our first color TV, so I guess monochrome has always been in my mind. BTW, couldn't find that place in AK?

---------- Post added 10-21-14 at 08:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think I missed this one when I was there.
Kyle, as you get into town it sits on the right hand side, lots of photo ops in this old place isn't there?

---------- Post added 10-21-14 at 08:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Interesting shot, I wonder why the caution sign for something called sanded oil.
Slippery when Wet?
10-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I generally prefer higher key b/w pics of old places, but this one looks VERY interesting as low key!!
Well shot!
10-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I generally prefer higher key b/w pics of old places, but this one looks VERY interesting as low key!!
Well shot!
I tried both Mike, and this way just seemed more interesting to me. Fun with Photos I guess.
10-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I am thinking the sign cautioned people they could slip due to oil being on the ground even though it had sand thrown on it. Probably didn't have much protocol on ecology and where the oil was being poured off back then.
10-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I am thinking the sign cautioned people they could slip due to oil being on the ground even though it had sand thrown on it. Probably didn't have much protocol on ecology and where the oil was being poured off back then.
I think it is likely a warning to automobile drivers, much as we see "loose gravel" signs today. A warning to slow down so as not to spray sanded oil up on oncoming traffic, or traffic following, also that traction is reduced, as you noted.
10-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I think it is likely a warning to automobile drivers, much as we see "loose gravel" signs today. A warning to slow down so as not to spray sanded oil up on oncoming traffic, or traffic following, also that traction is reduced, as you noted.
I guess it could be either, I'm not sure if this is an original sign on the old station or was added later. Way back in the day the desert was used as a dumping ground for everything from bottles to bodies, you never know what you might come upon out here.