Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Return to the Realm of Ogres
Lens: FA 31/1.8 and FA 77/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: The Realm of Ogres 
Posted By: Sailor, 10-20-2014, 06:29 PM

For a scrawny old buzzard, I'm still a gutsy geezer - gutsy enough to penetrate the space where Ogres hang out. I'm just a "wild and crazy guy."

Jer

Warning! Do Not Enter (hey it's just a sign - I went in; no different than pushing a bit faster than the speed limit, after all):

Here's where those suckers hang out; I challenged them to emerge, but they failed to appear (wimps - probably drive minivans):

Views: 953
10-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well you gave me a couple of clues "wild and crazy guy" so I contracted Steve Martin and he reports that only an ogress lives in this area and does drive a mini van since she is a woman. You gotta be careful bud because they both eat humans you know. Oh, nice shots btw. I hope this helps.
10-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
True jungle.............. Where's Tarzan?
10-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great set, although with all that "Spanish beard" around you might want to check for chiggers. (FWIW, my favorites were the third and the last...which might look good in monochrome, especially if you went to a squarish crop.)

10-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
well you gave me a couple of clues "wild and crazy guy" so I contracted Steve Martin and he reports that only an ogress lives in this area and does drive a mini van since she is a woman. You gotta be careful bud because they both eat humans you know. Oh, nice shots btw. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, brother Bob. I certainly don't want to become the main course in some ogre's meal! I'll stay on my toes and out of the oven.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
True jungle.............. Where's Tarzan?
Tarzan was off trying trade for a larger minivan. This particular National Wildlife Refuge, which is only about 10 minutes from my house, opened about three years ago during the long drought that plagued our area until about six months ago - when the rains came, and came, and came . . . . . This is my first visit in some time, so I was amazed at lush and primordial the place looked compared with my last visit.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Great set, although with all that "Spanish beard" around you might want to check for chiggers. (FWIW, my favorites were the third and the last...which might look good in monochrome, especially if you went to a squarish crop.)
Thanks much, CB. I agree with your B&W ideas - I visit this place every few months, and I'm betting most of the shots I've taken there converted to B&W. On this latest jaunt, however, I "saw" these scenes in color. I've some other shots I took that day that - assuming I get around to it - I'll convert to B&W.

Jer
10-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Pic # 3, want to walk through there.... And hope I don't step on a copperhead... While paying more attention to the camera than watching out for snakes.
10-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Looks like mean Ents might hang out there too! Nice shots in any case.
Might be fun to desaturate and HDR one, to surrealize it for the Halloween season. One of the last two, perhaps - they look properly twisted

10-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Pic # 3, want to walk through there.... And hope I don't step on a copperhead... While paying more attention to the camera than watching out for snakes.
Thanks - it's the ogres you've gotta worry about, not the snakes .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Looks like mean Ents might hang out there too! Nice shots in any case.
Might be fun to desaturate and HDR one, to surrealize it for the Halloween season. One of the last two, perhaps - they look properly twisted
Thanks, and I bet some of those Ents are skulking around. Some of these would lend themselves to desaturation, but I was in "full color" mode when I processed these. Both the subjects and - especially - the photographer are twisted.

Jer

10-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Jer, love shots like yours. Here is one I took in the Ho Forest on the Olympic Peninsula a few weeks ago. The pictures do not do the area justice. Cheers JIM

Aged Growth
10-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Jer, love shots like yours. Here is one I took in the Ho Forest on the Olympic Peninsula a few weeks ago. The pictures do not do the area justice. Cheers JIM
Hey, buddy, thanks much. Yeah, I love to do this sort of thing - part of what started me along this path was your beautiful photography of such places, and excellent example of which, you posted here. Great stuff!

Jer