Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Columbia Canal_4 pics
Posted By: slowpez, 05-16-2008, 09:09 AM

These were taken at our local canal. The building is EdVenture - a museum for kids. I really liked the colors and the reflections in the water. Please tell me which (if any) you like and what I could have done to improve them.
Again, thanks in advance for all critiques and criticism. Susan

128 mmF/22 @ 1/160

128 mm F/22 @ 1/250 sec

80 mm F/22 @ 1/80 sec

55 mm F/18 @ 1/100 sec

Views: 983
05-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Hi Susan, I like the first and third pictures best.
On the first one I would do a tight crop on the building (kind of like a portrait).
On the third I would crop a little off the top (to get rid of those bare branches) and a little off the bottom (to balance the reflection), then try to brighten it a bit.
I'm just a novice myself though and we all see things differently.
Gary
05-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i like the third one the best, but too bad the colours aren't as vibrant as the last photo
05-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Gary, will try your suggestions on the pictures. Any suggestions on how to retain the vibrancy of the colors. My recollection is usually pretty poor but the colors seem fairly accurate. It was a pretty cloudy day with no sun to speak of.
Thanks for your help, Susan

05-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Sue,
What application are you using for PP, you should have an option to enhance the colors?
Gary
05-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Sue,
What application are you using for PP, you should have an option to enhance the colors?
Gary
I have a student edition of Photoshop which I am desperately learning to use. I took your advice by the the way, dang it you were right. They do look better. I do tend to leave things too dark thinking I like them that way but, once lightened I find that it looks better

Let me know if you think I did too much cropping especially on the second one. I am thinking maybe I should take some more off the left side?

Thanks again for all your help Gary, Susan
05-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Much better Sue, on the first one top right corner is a bit distracting as well as the rails on the right hand side. If you crop on the right, up to the vertical post that should give you just enough room to crop out the distraction in the top right corner. It's the building and the reflection that is important.
On the second, yeah maybe a little too much crop on the left and not enough on the right. Let the river bank intersect with the edge of the picture you should still have enough of the bush left to soften the edge.
The beauty of digital is, that you can make as many duplicates as you like and then try different crops until you get the one you like best.
Thank you for listening to my humble suggestions, it is actually a very good learning experience for me also. Feel free to comment on any of my pics.
Gary