Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Damned Tourists
Lens: 18-250mm Camera: K 5 Photo Location: Grand Canyon AZ 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 10-21-2014, 09:33 PM

I knew we shouldn't of visited the Grand Canyon on a weekend but we were staying nearby and I always enjoy the views there. I was complaining about all the tourists there and my wife reminded we were part of the group also. When I said, I'm a visitor not a tourist, she pointed out that anyone with 2 cameras wearing white shorts and black socks and a shirt that read "I rode the train to the Grand Canyon" was definitely a tourist.
The second photo shows the ledge the "tourists" were waiting to get on to view the canyon which is about one mile down and 15 miles across at this point.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 3,648
10-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cute story Bob, nice pics!
10-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice pics, Bob! My wife and I were able to take a helicopter tour out of Vegas and land in the valley itself for chicken and sparkling wine.
10-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fortunately, we retired people can go during the week. But, as you have shown, Bob, the term "tourists, bloody tourists" really does apply on the weekends - almost wherever you go.

10-22-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Funny, I never thought of it as being crowded. That just seems so strange somehow but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We did Niagara Falls when I was a little kid and it was just jammed with people too...
10-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah Well Bob tourist or not these weren't just happy snaps............................well done!
10-22-2014, 03:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Cool shots, I like the one with all the tourists.
I was there last year in April so it must have been off season because there were not as many people, though the weather was pleasant
Here a couple of panos:

Grand Canyon Pano 2013 #2
by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr

Grand Canyon Pano 2013 #1
by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr

10-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Geez, buddy - everybody and his mother must have been there that day! Fun shots.

Jer
10-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Looks good Bob. People come to see nature at work.... even if the whole erosion thing is really slow.
10-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Cute story Bob, nice pics!
thanks Mike, hope you got a chuckle.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 08:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nice pics, Bob! My wife and I were able to take a helicopter tour out of Vegas and land in the valley itself for chicken and sparkling wine.
now that would be an awesome thing to do, hope you got lots of photos.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 08:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Fortunately, we retired people can go during the week. But, as you have shown, Bob, the term "tourists, bloody tourists" really does apply on the weekends - almost wherever you go.
the thing is Ray, we were in the area for 5 days and had nasty or rainy weather each day with the exception of one day on the weekend. Normally I wouldn't go but took the chance that not too many "tourists" would be visiting. Wrong Again.
10-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
now that would be an awesome thing to do, hope you got lots of photos.
Wish I did, this was back in 2002, though!

We flew back to Vegas at a low enough altitude to see lots of uncovered silver mineshafts. Would hate to be wandering around alone at night.

The Hoover Dam was spectacular, too.
10-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Funny, I never thought of it as being crowded. That just seems so strange somehow but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We did Niagara Falls when I was a little kid and it was just jammed with people too...
In season is always crowded and we normally visit off season but this year we left Colorado a month early, lesson learned.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 09:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Wish I did, this was back in 2002, though!

We flew back to Vegas at a low enough altitude to see lots of uncovered silver mineshafts. Would hate to be wandering around alone at night.

The Hoover Dam was spectacular, too.
Yes, Nevada is the Silver State, you found out why with all the mineshafts here.
10-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I would of been surprised at the crowds, have never been to the grand canyon. Now I know that 'Popular Attraction' and Crowds go hand in hand. I just expected the Grand Canyon to be like the pics that don't show people but empty expansive canyons!
Your wife's comment reminds me of one of my friend's comment when he says of his wife that she "Always dresses like a Winter Texan/Tourist" , lol, and they live here in this area. She always wears white shorts, sandals, and a shirt that matches the shorts and sandals and her purse has to match to. And that is everywhere she has to go,

Last edited by sherrvonne; 10-22-2014 at 10:06 PM.
10-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sharp-Dressed Man?

These dress codes are so puzzling to me, I would have thought your outfit would fit in anywhere. I mean shoot, at least you were WEARING socks!
Just kidding, very nice photos anyway. I especially like the 2nd one, it puts a great perspective on how tiny we are (even if improperly dressed) compared to the sheer scale of this monument. Beautiful colors and clarity, Bob, well done!
Ron
10-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

We were there last week, only on the North Rim which is much less crowded. That second one is extremely sharp!