Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
My favorite ugly lens
Posted By: mole, 10-22-2014, 06:30 PM

Have purchased several "bargain" grade lenses from KEH, but never tried an "ugly" one until now. Had been looking for a good price on a small 200mm, and saw an ugly grade M 200 at KEH, for only $12.00! Now, I know that KEH grades very conservatively, but this "ugly" lens looks almost perfect to me. No cloudiness, scratches, lens fungus or other glass problems. Aperture blades are snappy, focus is smooth and well damped. Exterior looks practically new. So I decided that there must be some hidden defect. and went to take a few test shots with the lens.

First a few shots of one of our home park's very cooperative first-year Great Blue Herons.

And some proof that GB Herons know how to read!

Here are some autumn foliage and fruit shots - ripe sugar maple leaves and ripe persimmon fruit.

200mm is not the ideal wildflower lens length, but, with the help of an extension tube, the "ugly" lens did pretty well with this wild Gentian flower.

These butterfly shots were at the minimum focus (without extension tubes) of the "ugly" 200mm. First two are Question Marks, #3 is a Red Admiral.

I sure don't see anything ugly about how this lens performs, in fact, it is fast becoming one my favorites. Would be very interested to hear what you think of this cheap little lens...

Views: 2,971
12-04-2014, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll give ya $16 for it! :-p

12-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow you got at least $18.00 worth of shots there - it's paid for ! (seriously great deal and those Heron shots are great).