Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
F 35-70 Macro Mode focus distance
Posted By: shhh, 10-27-2014, 02:11 AM

Hi,

As a newbie, I was hoping someone might be able to help.

I bought a used F35-70, in Macro mode I have put my K30 into AV mode and the lens is in the A position, with the ring set into the maro zone pushed firmly past the 70mm point.

I'm finding that if I'm more than 5ft from what I'm shooting that the camera will not fire the shutter in AF mode.
Does the Macro setting on the lens have a max distance as well as a min distance?

Iso Auto I have set to 100-3200, it's reasonably bright, and it doesn't seem to matter what aperture I'm using.

Thanks for your help.
Views: 1,326
10-27-2014, 03:02 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say yes, macro setting have max and min distance, and macro mode on F 35-70, and i recommended you to use at least f8 to shot at macro mode for sharpness and if you have flash that will help to get more detail

SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
10-27-2014, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It can't focus, so won't release the shutter.
In macro mode it won't focus to infinity! so you have to switch it back to normal mode to shoot normal photos.
10-27-2014, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Little Gem

Hello shhh, welcome to the Forum!
Yes, the F35-70 has a maximum focusing distance (I tried it on a K-5 and it looks to be about 18-20 inches from the front element to the subject) when in 'Macro' mode with the zoom ring pushed past 70mm, just as you've described.
This is a trade-off for allowing a normal zoom to focus closer in macro mode, you can only shoot 'close ups'. If you take it out of 'AF' it still won't focus to infinity, even manually. Perfectly normal.
The F35-70 is a fine little zoom, it even has a dedicated Lens Club thread. Many consider it the best value-per-dollar short zoom in the Pentax A/F legacy lineup.
Reasonably sharp when stopped down to f/5.6-f/8.0, softer wide-open. Beautiful color rendering (not all agree!) particularly for scenic and landscape. A decent walk-around lens, a bit 'long' at 35mm for wider views on APS-C format.
But it is a quirky devil, very quick and noisy A/F, odd-looking and plastic-y in the early autofocus-era style, terrible F-series MF ring placement and dampening.
A great starter/intro macro zoom and very handy for casual street shooting.
jmo,
Ron

10-27-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ron for your help,

It does seems a bit quirky from the quick play I've had with it so far, I've not yet had chance to download the images I've taken so far.

I was hoping for a lens that was a bit sharper and a bit faster(f stop) than the kit lens, and also I find that as a walkabout lens, 55mm is a bit too short for some portraits, at which point I'd end up having to change and put the 50-200 on.
10-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You can always move your camera setting to AF-C (assuming the K30 has that setting). You will still have auto focus but the shutter will trigger when the camera isn't locking focus. You can also just use MF mode although I would question why you would want out of focus shots. You do have to get pretty close using the F 35-70 in macro mode. That's just the nature of the camera in that focal length. I use a Sigma 70-300 for close up shooting out of my kayak. The macro range on that lens works in the 200-300mm range and is handy for guys like me with bad knees and a bad back. It's also helpful for for some insects like butterflies because you aren't as close and they won't fly off. True also with bees. Never piss off bees!

I've found that using MF often works better with macro because you can really fine focus on just what you want.
10-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shhh Quote
I'm finding that if I'm more than 5ft from what I'm shooting that the camera will not fire the shutter in AF mode. Does the Macro setting on the lens have a max distance as well as a min distance?
Yes, the 'macro' mode has a relatively small focus range. I've never measured it but when you are outside of that range it will not focus. And if the camera cannot get a focus confirm the shutter will not fire in the default mode. There is a setting on some models to allow it to fire without focus, not sure if yours does. Also note that the position of the zoom ring within the 'macro' zone can change the focus distance. Macro is a range, not an 'on/off' thing.

Iso Auto I have set to 100-3200, it's reasonably bright, and it doesn't seem to matter what aperture I'm using.
The camera will always try to focus wide open so what you are seeing is through the lens with aperture completely open. It stops down to your setting only when the image is taken, or you press the DOF preview button.
10-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

Thanks Ron for your help,

It does seems a bit quirky from the quick play I've had with it so far, I've not yet had chance to download the images I've taken so far.

I was hoping for a lens that was a bit sharper and a bit faster(f stop) than the kit lens, and also I find that as a walkabout lens, 55mm is a bit too short for some portraits, at which point I'd end up having to change and put the 50-200 on.
i like use F 35-70 for walkabout lens, because it small, focus fast, and have a good color, i think you need to play with that lens more often. just for your information when i had this lens, my 18-55 and 55-300 lens sat on dry cabinet for almost half year i like this lens so much and i hope it continue to serve me

10-28-2014, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice,

I popped out yesterday lunchtime to have a play and was surprised how thin the focus distance is. Here's the best I could manage handheld on a windy day.

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/pyBA1Y]IMGP6852[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/44156198@N03/]All Greyt[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">