Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Good Bye, Cut Time
Posted By: Sailor, 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Today, Connie and I said good bye to our Catalina 30, Cut Time; the sale of our much-loved sailboat closed today. It's the first time since late 1959 (when I was 13) that I haven't owned a sailboat, and sailing has been our passion for decades. So, I'm feeling damned empty this evening.

Still, to everything there is a season, and it was time to move on. Over the last 3 years as both we and Cut Time have aged, we've found ourselves using her far too little to justify the considerable expense and headaches associated with docking, insuring and maintaining a cruising sailboat.

Forum "old timers" have seen, commented on and may remember some of the dozens of photos involving the boat, Galveston Bay, and coastal Texas that I've posted over the years. Here are some shots (all posted previously) of the old gal; I'm going to profoundly miss her.

Jer

Views: 2,396
10-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Stiff upper lip and all that buddy.

Over the years, I've given up football (40s) Volleyball (50s) Baseball and Tennis (60s) it's always tough giving up things you love.... but time stands still for no one.
Hey thanks, Norm. Yup, none of us can escape the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which basically says: "you can't win, you can't draw and you can't leave the game."

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
That’s a tough one Jer. On the bright side you seem to be a man of many passions and blessed in many ways.

I know you’re a fan of Newton but wasn’t it Aristotle who said something about nature abhorring a vacuum?

On the other hand he didn't know squat about a mid-engine car. I’m sure you will find something to fill the gap.

Nice pics by-the-way.

Tom G
Thanks, Tom. Yeah, I've got plenty of interests to keep me busy. Also, there's a possibility that we may move to another part of the state or perhaps out of the state altogether - far from certain, but if that goes forward, my plate will be heaping full.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
always enjoyed your nautical exploits jer..... there's always freedom rentals in case ya get a hankerin' for those high seas again.....
be well... sail on sail on sailor..............dave m
I appreciate your very nice words, Dave.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Some beautiful photographs and those are great memories, to keep and reflect upon . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Finding another way, to continue to get pleasure out of the sensory and physical aspects, that we all enjoy in life.

Les
Many thanks for your thoughts, Les. I hit 68 earlier this month, so we're both at the same stage in life . . . . . . . . but there's still lots for us to do!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
I thought that the two happiest days for a boat owner were supposed to be the day they bought the boat and the day they sold it?
Gosh, I never heard that before! :roll eyes:

I suspect that that bromide was coined by the same lout that inflicted humanity with that dreadful expression, "Is it hot enough for you?"

Seriously, keeping a boat in the water twelve months a year is both expensive and a responsibility - there's no doubt that selling one does bring some sense of relief..

Jer

10-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A sad story my friend, but what a great collection of shots! The sails in B&W are so great.
Seems it's time to focus on the roadster
Say hi to Connie!
Norbert
10-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We'll miss your photos of her Jer.... What ya need to do now is hitch rides with all your sailing buddies when you feel the need. :-)

Mike
10-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
A sad story my friend, but what a great collection of shots! The sails in B&W are so great.
Seems it's time to focus on the roadster
Say hi to Connie!
Norbert
Hey, Norbert - thanks much. I hope you and yours are doing well.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
We'll miss your photos of her Jer.... What ya need to do now is hitch rides with all your sailing buddies when you feel the need. :-)

Mike
Mike - you gotta plan. Thanks for the nice words.

Jer

10-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I feel your pain... sort of. We had a great old Lido 14 we used to sail for about 5 years, then had to relocate overseas and had to sell it. That was in the 1980's and I haven't been sailing since. I really miss those sailing days, cruising around on Lake Berryessa near SF. Having owned a boat for as long as you have, it must really be tough to let it go.

And nice pics, btw!
10-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can always rent a boat for a vacation trip if the urge becomes uncontrollable. I know it's not the same as having a boat of your own. But it's also much less work. That's what I do when we feel like cruising in the summer holidays.

Re the pics, is #3 a 10-17 fisheye shot? The sun star looks familiar.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As the boat sails into the sunset I'm sure Jer that the sound of the lapping waves will be replaced by the roar of land based machines. You can't keep a good man down.--Capn zap

10-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I feel your pain... sort of. We had a great old Lido 14 we used to sail for about 5 years, then had to relocate overseas and had to sell it. That was in the 1980's and I haven't been sailing since. I really miss those sailing days, cruising around on Lake Berryessa near SF. Having owned a boat for as long as you have, it must really be tough to let it go.

And nice pics, btw!
Hey, Jerry, thanks much. Yeah, I'm going to miss it for sure, but now I'll have time to explore new things.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
You can always rent a boat for a vacation trip if the urge becomes uncontrollable. I know it's not the same as having a boat of your own. But it's also much less work. That's what I do when we feel like cruising in the summer holidays.

Re the pics, is #3 a 10-17 fisheye shot? The sun star looks familiar.

Regards,
--Anders.
Yeah, renting occasionally may be something will do in the future; we're also thinking about some new things we might undertake. That shot was indeed made with the FE at 17mm and stopped down to f/22.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
As the boat sails into the sunset I'm sure Jer that the sound of the lapping waves will be replaced by the roar of land based machines. You can't keep a good man down.--Capn zap
I sure appreciate your comments, Capn. And I think you may be on to something about the next chapter . . . . . . . .

Jer