Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Good Bye, Cut Time
Photo Location: Galveston Bay 
Posted By: Sailor, 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Today, Connie and I said good bye to our Catalina 30, Cut Time; the sale of our much-loved sailboat closed today. It's the first time since late 1959 (when I was 13) that I haven't owned a sailboat, and sailing has been our passion for decades. So, I'm feeling damned empty this evening.

Still, to everything there is a season, and it was time to move on. Over the last 3 years as both we and Cut Time have aged, we've found ourselves using her far too little to justify the considerable expense and headaches associated with docking, insuring and maintaining a cruising sailboat.

Forum "old timers" have seen, commented on and may remember some of the dozens of photos involving the boat, Galveston Bay, and coastal Texas that I've posted over the years. Here are some shots (all posted previously) of the old gal; I'm going to profoundly miss her.

Jer

Views: 2,400
10-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A well thought out series of shots expertly taken.
10-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sad Goodbye

Wow, Jer, sorry to hear this news. You surely loved that boat, it's obvious even from the photos, although I recall you mentioning it warmly before.
But, possessions have a season too, just as our life, income, time and health do, and sometimes they don't match. It might be better that someone uses it regularly, better for the boat, them and ultimately, you. However, those choices are hard, you must be suffering a bit. I would not enjoy losing a similarly-loved source of enjoyment, pleasure and pride.
Chin up, buddy, there's still joy in life, take some photos!
Ron
10-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
That first image is absolutely stunning.

I don't know what I can say to you to ease the obvious pain.

10-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

WOW, sorry to her about your baby!! The photo's brought back some great memories for me too. I always though maybe one day I would have gotten down there and share a few Bud Lights with you on your sail boat. Cheers. JIM
10-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I hope she has gone to a good home, Jer. Know you will miss her but another door will open.
10-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice pictorial tribute, Sailor!

10-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I imagine you and family will always have such wonderful memories sailing on Cut Time. The only thing I can think of to sooth the soul would be the name Cabriolet.
10-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sad to see her go, but hopefully her new owner will love and enjoy her as much as you did. You did give us some great photos aboard!

Jim
10-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A well thought out series of shots expertly taken.
Thanks much for the kind words, EM.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Wow, Jer, sorry to hear this news. You surely loved that boat, it's obvious even from the photos, although I recall you mentioning it warmly before.
But, possessions have a season too, just as our life, income, time and health do, and sometimes they don't match. It might be better that someone uses it regularly, better for the boat, them and ultimately, you. However, those choices are hard, you must be suffering a bit. I would not enjoy losing a similarly-loved source of enjoyment, pleasure and pride.
Chin up, buddy, there's still joy in life, take some photos!
Ron
Hey, Ron, I appreciate your comments. Indeed, it really was time to let someone else have Cut Time who would use her. After decades of sailing, the poignancy of the experience was declining while the physical effort was increasing as we aged, and the "payback" simply had diminished to the point we only used the boat sporadically during the last couple of years. Also, it was just silly to dump several thousand bucks a year into keeping the boat for what had become sentimental reasons. For boaters, our story is quite common - you ultimately just have to suck it up and move on.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That first image is absolutely stunning.

I don't know what I can say to you to ease the obvious pain.
Thanks, Kerrow. It was tough to let her go, but a spin in my roadster helped me feel better.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
WOW, sorry to her about your baby!! The photo's brought back some great memories for me too. I always though maybe one day I would have gotten down there and share a few Bud Lights with you on your sail boat. Cheers. JIM
Well, buddy, the Bud Lights'll still be here, and I can take you for a cruise in the Porsche. I really appreciate your comments, old buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I hope she has gone to a good home, Jer. Know you will miss her but another door will open.
Thanks, Susan. I think her new owners will appreciate and care for her. Actually, it's a "small world" story: during the closing, we talked to Josh and Pam (the new owners) and we discovered almost by accident that of all the 4 million souls in the greater Houston area that could have bought her, these folks know our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter fairly well. They have competed with each other in various triathlons, during which Pam looked after granddaughter Claire occasionally. Also, Josh custom built a bicycle for my son-in-law a few years ago. Far out stuff .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nice pictorial tribute, Sailor!
Thank you!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I imagine you and family will always have such wonderful memories sailing on Cut Time. The only thing I can think of to sooth the soul would be the name Cabriolet.
Hey, brother Bob, thanks for looking.

I might do a Cab one day, but for now I'm reluctant to relinquish my Boxster S, which is less than two years old and has only about 5500 miles on the clock. Besides, my car is a proper mid-engine sports car, the way Sir Issac Newton would have wanted it - since I'm a scientist, I'm inclined to stick with Sir Issac.

Actually, Connie has suggested that I swap my BMW for a 2010-2012 911 coupe which would limit depreciation costs and - with a couple of stone chips already in the paint - I could use the car comfortably as a daily driver, actually going out in the rain and park it at Target without hyperventilating!

Jer

---------- Post added 10-28-2014 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Sad to see her go, but hopefully her new owner will love and enjoy her as much as you did. You did give us some great photos aboard!

Jim
Thanks very much, Jim. I sure appreciate your kind words.

Jer
10-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Stiff upper lip and all that buddy.

Over the years, I've given up football (40s) Volleyball (50s) Baseball and Tennis (60s) it's always tough giving up things you love.... but time stands still for no one.
10-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That’s a tough one Jer. On the bright side you seem to be a man of many passions and blessed in many ways.

I know you’re a fan of Newton but wasn’t it Aristotle who said something about nature abhorring a vacuum?

On the other hand he didn't know squat about a mid-engine car. I’m sure you will find something to fill the gap.

Nice pics by-the-way.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 10-28-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
10-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

always enjoyed your nautical exploits jer..... there's always freedom rentals in case ya get a hankerin' for those high seas again.....
be well... sail on sail on sailor..............dave m
10-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Some beautiful photographs and those are great memories, to keep and reflect upon.

I can identify with you on that relentless aging process, that we all go through.

In my day....younger days.... I used to love riding motorcycles....sports bikes for the most part. I loved the sensation of speed and personal 'body English'/ balance that I had to rely on, in fast corners.

Now that I'm in my mid 60's I realize that my 'body English' / balance ain't what it used to be....also my hearing is getting to the point that I maybe looking at hearing aids in the next few years.

So I've come to the realization that my motorcyclist days are quite probably over.

But I still enjoy looking and photographing bikes, particularly the British and European, vintage machines.

In fact I still have two motorcycles in my equipment shed. A 1967 Matchless 750cc G 15 CS scrambler. Made in Plumstead, London, England and then of course my '78 Yamaha SR 500.

Will I get rid of them ? Although I don't ride anymore, I still like to go out to the shed and look at them. They are beautiful...from the artful tear drop lines, of the Matchless' racing style Lyta gas tank.....to it's vintage looking choke lever. Small bits of enjoyment, that I never tire of looking at.

But I do know the time is coming, when I will have to sell a lot of my accumulated stuff and with my wife, move into a smaller place with less required maintenance.

Nice to hear that you're taking the Porsche out for a spin.

That is the key.

Finding another way, to continue to get pleasure out of the sensory and physical aspects, that we all enjoy in life.

Les
10-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #15

I thought that the two happiest days for a boat owner were supposed to be the day they bought the boat and the day they sold it?