Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Aspen Time Lapse
Lens: Sigma 8-16 mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Zion National Park 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 10-30-2014, 12:07 AM

Not a particularly good photo, kind of murky and indistinct, but an interesting one for me. We were driving in Zion a few weeks ago in a pretty heavy wind. I stopped at this spot to try for a time lapse of these aspen trees. This is a 4 second exposure. I took a whole slew of these while my wife waited patiently in the car and this was the best I could get. I'd like to try this again and experiment more with shutter speeds and distance from subject. I tried one from about 100 yards but you could barely see the movement of the leaves from that far away. I think this one may be too close to the two trees so that the movement looks too chaotic and muddled. Not even the tree trunks look sharp. I would be interested to hear from people who have got good results from trying this.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by GeoJerry; 10-30-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Views: 1,195
10-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The results are entirely predictable... The base of the trunks where there is the least amount of movement are the sharpest. As you go up the tree the tree gets thinner, and the tree is going to move more. By the time you get to the top the movement of the tree may actually be measured in feet instead of inches and the movement will be extreme and cause significant motion blur, just like blurring a waterfall with a long exposure. I'm not really clear on what you were hoping for.

What would a "good result" be?

Last edited by normhead; 10-30-2014 at 09:37 AM.
10-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The results are entirely predictable... The base of the trunks where there is the least amount of movement are the sharpest. As you go up the tree the tree gets thinner, and the tree is going to move more. By the time you get to the top the movement of the tree may actually be measured in feet instead of inches and the movement will be extreme and cause significant motion blur, just like blurring a waterfall with a long exposure. I'm not really clear on what you were hoping for.
Sure, of course. But wouldn't there be some distance and exposure time dependency on this effect? If I shot this picture from 200 feet away, you probably wouldn't see much movement at all except in the smaller branches and leaves. If I'd exposed for 2 secs instead of 4, maybe that would have cleaned up the trunks. If I'd used a wider angle, that could have made a difference. Or I could have waited around for the wind to die down a little.

I didn't really know what to expect except the effects you noted (which is why I wanted the lower part of the trunks at center, to give some stability and hopefully focus to the image), and I hadn't tried this before. I just wondered if others had experimented with the idea and what they found.
10-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I think it's great, a cool concept and depending on the wind speed this is probably as good as it gets. As you say, being further back could sharpen the trunks a bit, but 'pretty heavy' wind could even shift the trunk a bit with all the leaves providing resistance.

I'm thinking this would be fun to try as a multiple-exposure image! Not sure that would help with the trunk though... now I need to try it thanks for the thought!

10-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Here's a shot I did in a strong wind.... but at 1/320 sec. Fast enough to freeze the tree trunks but not fast enough to freeze the leaf motion,,, I really like the effect.

10-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Here's a shot I did in a strong wind.... but at 1/320 sec. Fast enough to freeze the tree trunks but not fast enough to freeze the leaf motion,,, I really like the effect.
That's a great shot, and closer to what I had in mind, although I was going for more movement and so might have wanted a shutter speed more like 1/100 or 1/50 sec, and maybe a little bit closer in. Having the hills in the distance is a great touch because it gives the picture a good stable frame of reference. The faster shutter speed adds some more range to the leaf colors instead of mushing the leaves together into one dominant tone. I'll try for something more like this next time. It would take lots of trial and error to get a good result (meaning, something I like
10-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I think it's great, a cool concept and depending on the wind speed this is probably as good as it gets. As you say, being further back could sharpen the trunks a bit, but 'pretty heavy' wind could even shift the trunk a bit with all the leaves providing resistance.

I'm thinking this would be fun to try as a multiple-exposure image! Not sure that would help with the trunk though... now I need to try it thanks for the thought!
Thanks jimr, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

10-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Not a particularly good photo, kind of murky and indistinct, but an interesting one for me. We were driving in Zion a few weeks ago in a pretty heavy wind. I stopped at this spot to try for a time lapse of these aspen trees. This is a 4 second exposure. I took a whole slew of these while my wife waited patiently in the car and this was the best I could get. I'd like to try this again and experiment more with shutter speeds and distance from subject. I tried one from about 100 yards but you could barely see the movement of the leaves from that far away. I think this one may be too close to the two trees so that the movement looks too chaotic and muddled. Not even the tree trunks look sharp. I would be interested to hear from people who have got good results from trying this.
I like this shot a lot. It seems very hallucinogenic with the colorful blurred leaves. My favorite part, actually,is the perspective. The two trees bisect the space to create an entry into the scene.
Well played.

M
10-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is a rather surreal effect. I like it. I think the subject composition lends itself to the effect.
10-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Miguel, Mike, thanks for your comments! I'd really like to try this again with some faster shutter speeds and a bit more distance (or maybe wait for a lull in the wind). I only had 10-15 minutes to play with this and it was so bright I couldn't really see in detail what kind of results I was getting. Will have to wait until next year I guess.
10-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #11

I also really like the pic as taken. It has an impressionistic feel to it. With the long exposure it might be interesting to try again with the same settings in lower light...
10-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wkzsh54 Quote
I also really like the pic as taken. It has an impressionistic feel to it. With the long exposure it might be interesting to try again with the same settings in lower light...
Thanks wkzsh54! I agree, a bit less light would have improve this. That would have made the highlights on the trunks look more interesting I think.
11-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

it looks like painting if that's your intention then you did a great job
11-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do like Aspen ...
11-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
it looks like painting if that's your intention then you did a great job
Thanks redcoat I had no real plan, it was an experiment, I was just curious to see what would happen. I'm wishing now that I'd tried more with this. Next year!

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
I do like Aspen ...
Me too... and thanks!