Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Trees
Posted By: SuperJared, 01-30-2007, 05:33 PM

I had given myself an assignment to photograph parallel lines. I've found that giving myself these assignments helps me look fo things I wouldn't normally see. I think these photos turned out well:

I'm loving my new K10D! The color rendition is far superior to my old D50. Add all the neat features like SR and Sv... I'm seriously in heaven. Though I once wasn't sure I should switch, I now have no regrets!
Views: 1,944
01-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been meaning to give myself assignments, but I never sit down to think up any before I'm actually heading out the door with my camera in my hand! Do you keep a list of them or something?

I like the trees (I have a few rather similar shots, bark texture is fascinating) but your parallel lines are diverging in the second one. Or was that your intention?

Julie
01-31-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The assignment thing is a good idea, do you mind if I steal it? (not the particular assignment, just the idea) I especially like the post office one. Nice colors,

NaCl(thanks for sharing)H2O
01-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cool idea to do assignments.
It has been catch as catch can, hiking, trip to the barn, birds in the bushes.
I can see how this would get me to slow down and focus (pun intended) more on a specific subject.
Thanks.

01-31-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the kind words. Yes, the self-assignment thing is great as it opens your eyes to look for things you would not have seen otherwise. Keep it generic though, nothing like "A white guy in speedos smoking a pipe".
01-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Lot of creativity popping up in the forums now. Nice shots!
02-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #7

Self Assignments

i read an article by Mike Johnston on the Luminous Landscape site about self assignments. He said to teach yourself to shoot well and see your shot, you should shoot ten consecutive weeks with one camera/lens combo and go out for a few hours each week and shoot a roll of film of any subject you want (or equivalent in digital) and them print a proof sheet. Study the proof sheet for a week and choose one photo to blow up to 8X10 and put on the wall where you would see it regularly. Then you repeat the exercise each week for 8 - 10 weeks. If you shoot digital and use Costco/WalMart/Sams Club to print your pics, you can get 8X10 for less than $2. So it costs you a few hours each week + $20. Pretty cheap lessons.

Maybe we should implement something like that here on the forum? Maybe one of the members could post ten consecutive assignments and we could each shoot the assignment and post what we shoot. Or we could brainstorm some ideas and someone could post a calendar of assignments and posting dates. It would be a good learning experience for everyone regardless of skill level. I know I have gotten some great feedback from this forum when I have posted pics.

What do you all think?

Ed
02-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think it's a fantastic idea -- one of us should post an assignment each week. The members can post their results in the topic!

I'd be willing to manage that... unless someone objects.

02-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Go for it! I'll participate

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
I think it's a fantastic idea -- one of us should post an assignment each week. The members can post their results in the topic!

02-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #10

Posting Assignments

I'm fine if you post some assignments and will play along as time permits.

Ed
02-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Agree! I'll participate!

Regards,
D