Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Humblebee
Posted By: Undot, 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM

After tinkering around with reversal rings and extension tubes for a while, which I probably will come back to later since you can never have enough magnification, I finally gave in and bought me a true Macro. And I think I fell in love with my Pentax 100mm! It hardly ever leaves my camera nowadays.

Here's one of my very first shots with it, at a "cut your own flowers" place around the corner. Those bees all over the place made me keep my distance, but this bumblebee was quite photogenic I think. But it does make me wonder how long it will take to get something close to this, now that my beginners luck ran out.

Attached Images

Views: 1,283
11-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
After tinkering around with reversal rings and extension tubes for a while, which I probably will come back to later since you can never have enough magnification, I finally gave in and bought me a true Macro. And I think I fell in love with my Pentax 100mm! It hardly ever leaves my camera nowadays.

Here's one of my very first shots with it, at a "cut your own flowers" place around the corner. Those bees all over the place made me keep my distance, but this bumblebee was quite photogenic I think. But it does make me wonder how long it will take to get something close to this, now that my beginners luck ran out.
Congratulations for your purchase. I remembered the same feeling when I bought Tamron 90mm. I felt it is hard to capture moving bees. It typically goes with lot of frustration and practice. A off-camera flash definitely will help as you can use F14 with ISO 100. More importantly a 1/16 power manual flashes will help you freeze the motion! So the remaining thing you can do is just being patient. For example, manual focus on a flower and wait! You can even use a tripod and a remote to do it :-)
11-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Caught in the act! And yeah, the Pentax 100mm lenses are great! Most macro primes are, these days, but the Pentax ones are really great with CA and contrast
11-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice shot!

11-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that for me is impossible to take a shot so close! It is stunning, a very good shot with great colors!
11-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Closed Account

Really nice shot -- very intimate. Whenever I need a breather from work, I take my MX-1 down to Pike Street Market in Seattle (I work 3 blocks away), and walk along the back-edge of the flower booths. I've probably gotten my best bee shots that way.
11-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for your kind feedback.

What this one photo doesn't tell, of course, are all those shots that were completely out of focus. Or not composed well.
This was really a lucky one, though the bumblebees eyes could have been a bit sharper.

But 30cm focus distance, from object to camera plane, is definitely not a lot for any critters that can sting or jump!

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Congratulations for your purchase. I remembered the same feeling when I bought Tamron 90mm. I felt it is hard to capture moving bees. It typically goes with lot of frustration and practice. A off-camera flash definitely will help as you can use F14 with ISO 100. More importantly a 1/16 power manual flashes will help you freeze the motion! So the remaining thing you can do is just being patient. For example, manual focus on a flower and wait! You can even use a tripod and a remote to do it :-)
Oops, I think I killed the Exif data on conversion. I did use off-camera flash but find it hard to keep it all under control. It's hard to have patience, but tripod and pre-focussing is probably a very good idea. So much more to learn - too bad those little buggers will hide for winter soon.
But, yes, I'm really happy I finally dug up the money for that macro lens. Such a joy to use.

11-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 100mm is a good FL for insects. That said, bees don't sit still long - except for the males who tuck in for sleep by late afternoon.

I chase bees all summer long, and send data in for science purposes. Next step for me is a plate so I can mount the flash off-camera and still use the GPS module.
11-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
Closed Account

The bees I get at the Market are so into their flowers, that I can use the Macro mode on the MX-1, and hold it a couple inches away, and they don't even seem to care. Out in the yard, well that's another story. I wouldn't have a prayer at a bee shot without my Tamron 90mm.
07-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote

Dig in!