Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Anna, my friend.
Posted By: flaviopetrone, 11-02-2014, 06:24 AM

This is my first experience with portraits. Before this session, I never taken portrait pictures with my K-50.
I see a lot of things that I could have improved in these picture but I am a little bit satisfied with them because finally I am starting to see some "errors" real time and I am correcting them before to shot or just taking another shot quickly. Finally I feel that I am starting to learn something.

These pictures were taken the same day with my other posts: Hiding feelings and Instinct.

Anna, the model, is my friend since 18 years ago. She never modeled before, but very kindly she offered to me as a model. We just went in the side of a little river some days ago, in the afternoon/sunset and this is the result.

Even if this was just a kind of experiment, any kind of advice will be very appreciated! I love critiques too, so feel free to say everything you think.

Views: 1,666
11-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
we should find something more unique,huh?
How about a model and a monster, the one close to me, I'm sure that's not been done before.

11-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
How about a model and a monster, the one close to me, I'm sure that's not been done before.
Ok, but only if you can assure me that Nessie will be at the appointment! Is she trustable?
11-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
if you can assure me that Nessie will be at the appointment
Hmm, not a solid guarantee on that one.
11-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, not a solid guarantee on that one.
Ok, but at least you can pay the tickets for the travel....

11-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You have good shots!
but I would have removed 2.3 and 6 photos. I think they are unnecessary - repeated.
and also quite all right!
11-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
You have good shots!
but I would have removed 2.3 and 6 photos. I think they are unnecessary - repeated.
and also quite all right!
Thank you for your opinion.
11-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

That first shot is beautifully striking and framed!

11-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
That first shot is beautifully striking and framed!
Thank you Rob!
11-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Number one is my favorite. She has beautiful eyes and I might suggest concentrating on them in a session devoted solely to them. Perhaps try a Rembrandt effect, with her eyes the main/only subject? Light from a lone window works well with such a setting. It would work well in B&W, also. In that case, a soft focus wouldn't be as objectionable. Soft focus, NOT out of focus! That is not to say she doesn't have other fine attributes, but her eyes are very mystical, exotic. Please pass along our regards to this beautiful woman, Anna.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
11-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Perhaps try a Rembrandt effect, with her eyes the main/only subject? Light from a lone window works well with such a setting. It would work well in B&W, also. In that case, a soft focus wouldn't be as objectionable. Soft focus, NOT out of focus! That is not to say she doesn't have other fine attributes, but her eyes are very mystical, exotic. Please pass along our regards to this beautiful woman, Anna.
Thank you Dewman for your suggestions and for compliments, be sure that I will say to her all the compliments that she is receiving!
11-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Oh and by the way can I borrow Anna.
Today I showed her this complete thread (to make her see the pictures with the smartphone), she read your comment and she said that when you want to pay the ticket for the travel she will be available.
11-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The first and third are the ones that strike me. The rest seem less. You might have Anna maintain a pose, and your composition, and then try several shots with her changing JUST her eyes. The eyes can express an exquisite range of intensity and emotion. Then, again not changing composition or pose, have her change her mouth expression, lips parted, slight smile, open smile, etc. (the eyes will generally change with mouth expression, unless the model intentionally contrasts each).
Anna seems to be working well with you. She has beautiful features. Explore her qualities on each frame. The subject of each photo is her, not the landscape, or environment.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work with her!
11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

she read your comment and she said that when you want to pay the ticket for the travel she will be available
You tell Anna that's the best offer I've had in a long time.
11-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You tell Anna that's the best offer I've had in a long time.
Hahahahaha I think that it is better that I say her to subscribe here!

---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 01:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Anna seems to be working well with you. She has beautiful features. Explore her qualities on each frame. The subject of each photo is her, not the landscape, or environment.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work with her!
Thank you for all the suggestions Mike, this is the reason for which I post pictures here, I always learn something!
Yes, as I already said, we are friends since a lot of years so there is no reason to be shy. This was my first attempt to understand how was. The results are good, not for quality of pictures but because we were both very comfortable and we are planning a new attempt soon.
Stay tuned.