Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Kolob Canyon
Lens: Pentax 17-70 mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Zion National Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 11-02-2014, 01:55 PM

Kolob Canyon is in the northwestern part of Zion National Park and doesn't get nearly as many visitors as Zion Canyon. It's a great place to go for a sunset. You can park the car and take a one mile easy hike to this vantage point, set up your tripod, and just fire away,

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 448
11-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yet another stunning ZIon shot! you have really done a great job balancing the light and especially the colors...it is so tempting to overdue these fantastc colors, but you have got it perfect!
11-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It looks like a great place! I did a quick search on Wikipedia, it is really a stunning place, worth to visit. But I live too much far...
Very nice shot!
11-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice shot, I really must visit north america some day and go tick off all the natural wonders!

11-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
like you said Jerry, not as visited as Zion, but worth the drive up the freeway to the park. This is a great representation of the area, reminds me of Box Canyon there.
11-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, you're right, I think at sunset rock will shine and sparkle with color!
it is amazing!
11-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
Yet another stunning ZIon shot! you have really done a great job balancing the light and especially the colors...it is so tempting to overdue these fantastc colors, but you have got it perfect!
Thanks phoenix vision! You're right, it is hard to resist pumping up these colors sometimes. As I said, one often needs to desaturate under certain lighting conditions.

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
It looks like a great place! I did a quick search on Wikipedia, it is really a stunning place, worth to visit. But I live too much far...
Very nice shot!
Thank you! But Italy has no shortage of beautiful scenery either so I think you're OK for a while.

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Nice shot, I really must visit north america some day and go tick off all the natural wonders!
Thanks Rob. You'd like this area, very reminiscent of the Olgas rock formation in central Australia.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
like you said Jerry, not as visited as Zion, but worth the drive up the freeway to the park. This is a great representation of the area, reminds me of Box Canyon there.
Thanks Bob. It was your posts of Kolob Canyon some time ago that made me want to go look at it on this trip. Glad I did!

QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
Yes, you're right, I think at sunset rock will shine and sparkle with color!
it is amazing!
Thanks very much gor80!
08-02-2018, 05:33 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Kolob Canyon is in the northwestern part of Zion National Park and doesn't get nearly as many visitors as Zion Canyon. It's a great place to go for a sunset. You can park the car and take a one mile easy hike to this vantage point, set up your tripod, and just fire away,
So majestic.