Walrus @300mm
Posted By: RollsUp, 05-17-2008, 07:01 PM

My first image post.
K100D Super
DA 55-300
Av
1/320
f8
Cropped and sharpened a little in Lightroom.

A sure sign of spring. Females with young, one a newborn.
Views: 6,368
05-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Everyone's said it: this is a truly professional photo. All I can add - while showing my age - is "Coo Coo Cachoo".

Jer

05-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everybody else has said it already. But add my voice to to chorus.

NaCl(Jer, you crack me up!)H2O
05-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

What Salty said. with my own WOW!!!!! for effect
05-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm back looking again.
You know, this lens hasn't been out very long but I predict it will be a very long time before we see a better pic taken with this lens, or possibly any lens for that matter.

This pic breaks all the rules, everything is centered. No rule of thirds........
But it's mesmerizing. I love it when someone breaks the rules and produces an outstanding photo. I wish I could do it!

Well, it's not exactly centered, maybe that's what it is, I don't know what it is, quite frankly, but I like it.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 05-18-2008 at 05:57 PM.
05-19-2008, 06:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Great image!
05-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I saw the title and figured ho hum another zoo picture, boy was I pleasantly suprised That is a beautiful shot, Keep 'em coming!!
05-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
Forum Member

What can I say? The colors, the mood, the quality... Stunning

05-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I am late, and essentials already said, but I'll just have to join the others. You have my admiration! Thanks for sharing!
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ditto

That be a big DITTO for me as well..

Awesome shot.. just awesome... WOW..,

Thanks so much for sharing it, Kim
05-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your wonderful comments and I am very glad that you like this image. It means a lot to me, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Beautifully taken shot and for a first post you started off well. I agree that the textures and pastel colours are wonderful here. Thanks for posting the shot and maybe this one should be submitted to the Pentax Gallery.
I'll give it a shot submitting it.

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Congrats for this pic, looks all around excellent, in every aspect I could think of!

You must have gotten that bright but diffused light from the sky, as far as spherical appearance and colors come across on my screen, as well as the shades' details.

Could you please tell us something about how you managed to get this shot?

Also, I do not quite get it how those creatures seem to be laying flat on the water?
It does look like they are laying on the water doesn't it? In fact they are laying on the edge of the ice, all ready to slide or roll off into the water in case of danger.

QuoteQuote:
They look so different, yet seem so similar to humans in their behaviour, or is it just me and my strange habits :-)
All the best, Georg (the other)
Maybe a little of both They are very protective of their young and are very social animals.

QuoteOriginally posted by tlfaust Quote
where were you when you took this picture?
wow!
In a boat.

QuoteOriginally posted by AML Quote
What an amazing shot. I keep coming back to look at this. You really nailed it in every regard. This is defintiely the best photo i have seen taken with the DA55-300mm. After seeing this, i feel happy that i've pre-ordered this lens. Thanks for sharing.
I had originally pre-ordered mine from Adorama but their first shipment wasn't enough to get mine so I paid a little more for it at a store. Worth every penny IMO.

Here's one more taken on the same day. PPed a little more than the first in Lightroom. Females with calves and a couple females without any young (aunts?). All calves suckling.

05-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

excellent

Wonderful capture - and the composition is perfect for this sort of image. The hazy sky actually makes this work even more, since the Walrus are the only darker objects in the shot. You had great timing for getting the calm seas and the reflections!

Take a bow...

Regards,
Marc
05-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

can't say anything that hasn't been said already - absolutely gorgeous shots.
05-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is one of the finest photos that I have seen in a while, thanks for posting it and it should be submitted to the Pentax Gallery.
05-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Everyone's said it: this is a truly professional photo. All I can add - while showing my age - is "Coo Coo Cachoo".

Jer
LOL I had to Google search this. Are you referring to the song "I Am the Walrus" sung by the Beatles?

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Wonderful capture - and the composition is perfect for this sort of image. The hazy sky actually makes this work even more, since the Walrus are the only darker objects in the shot. You had great timing for getting the calm seas and the reflections!

Take a bow...

Regards,
Marc
Thanks, bowing

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
can't say anything that hasn't been said already - absolutely gorgeous shots.
Thank you. Glad you like them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
This is one of the finest photos that I have seen in a while, thanks for posting it and it should be submitted to the Pentax Gallery.
I have submitted the first photo on this thread and a different one to PPG. We'll see if they make it in. Thanks for your comments.
05-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

In the words of Rush, DITTO of the Kudos.

Definitley PPG material, probably even better.

Ray Smith