Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Long legged Fly ( More Macro )
Posted By: old4570, 11-03-2014, 12:49 AM

Views: 1,464
11-04-2014, 02:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes , U will lose a little image quality , nothing that PP can not compensate for ...
You gain double on the aperture , which is huge for Macro ..
Probably why I own a few 2x Tele converters ..

11-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
I never thought of that - but that is really a strong argument for doing macro with a converter! There is diffraction to worry about, I suppose, but that did't hurt your picture here...
I think you'll find extension tubes often produce better results for macro than teleconverters. That's my experience anyway.
11-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is no right or wrong !
There is only what works for you !
Having more DOF , works for me .. Im not sure tubes give you more DOF .. Yes you get more Macro but at a cost .. Tele converters have both + and - , and as long as the + outweighs the - , and it works for you , its the right way .
There are 1001 ways to macro , and the end result is all that counts , not how you got there .
How you got there is as individual as the clothes you wear .
11-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I think you'll find extension tubes often produce better results for macro than teleconverters. That's my experience anyway.
But - do you gain DOF with an extension tube though? (Sorry for having to ask! )

My plan A is just this:
SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

But I do have the 1.7x tc, and I just never considered that it might be of use when you come across DOF limitations.

(old4570 - I have no intention of stealing your thread here - let me know if you think this is off topic, but I am just trying to learn from your technique...)

11-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No problems here

But - do you gain DOF with an extension tube though? (Sorry for having to ask! )

My plan A is just this:
SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

But I do have the 1.7x tc, and I just never considered that it might be of use when you come across DOF limitations.

(old4570 - I have no intention of stealing your thread here - let me know if you think this is off topic, but I am just trying to learn from your technique...)

No problems here ...
I just purchased a 1.5x Tele converter off Ebay , cant wait to get it ..
Be interesting to see how it goes with 90mm to 100mm lenses , Im already using a 90mm with a 2x tele converter , and its a little too much ...
So I have been wanting to try a tele converter with less multiplier
11-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My plan A is just this:

Yes, indeed, DOF can be a problem with extension tubes. But, I find the IQ is better than with teleconverters. After much experimentation, I've sold all but one of my teleconverters for that reason.