drop
Lens: M 50 1.7 Camera: Pentax K5 
Posted By: PabloFP, 11-03-2014, 01:52 PM

a morning drop of water on a flower.

Views: 889
11-03-2014, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everybody probably has a few of these water-drop shots in their collection - just an irresistible scene. The 50/1.7 is serving you well. I do have some suggestions, though. There is insufficient light here, you could have easily added more by lowering your shutter speed, esp. if this was on a tripod. Look at the histogram on the camera or in your preferred editing app and I'm pretty sure you'll see that it doesn't go all the way to the right, so the whole image lacks "sparkle". The white balance also seems very off - it doesn't do the subject any justice. Was this taken indoors? Either way, the smooth background is very nice.

Lastly, a problem with limited depth of field is often what to do with the foreground. In this case, the part of the petal or leaf before the drop is so blurred that it feels to me as if it "blocks" my visual entry into the image. My eye (brain) has to overcome this literally distracting blur at the front to reach the drop. I'd have slightly closed down the aperture for more depth of field and tried to get the front part of the leaf sharper as well, but not so sharp as to be in competition with the drop. Keep practicing, use a spray bottle in the absence of rain, these images are not hard to re-create.
11-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
Everybody probably has a few of these water-drop shots in their collection - just an irresistible scene. The 50/1.7 is serving you well. I do have some suggestions, though. There is insufficient light here, you could have easily added more by lowering your shutter speed, esp. if this was on a tripod. Look at the histogram on the camera or in your preferred editing app and I'm pretty sure you'll see that it doesn't go all the way to the right, so the whole image lacks "sparkle". The white balance also seems very off - it doesn't do the subject any justice. Was this taken indoors? Either way, the smooth background is very nice.

Lastly, a problem with limited depth of field is often what to do with the foreground. In this case, the part of the petal or leaf before the drop is so blurred that it feels to me as if it "blocks" my visual entry into the image. My eye (brain) has to overcome this literally distracting blur at the front to reach the drop. I'd have slightly closed down the aperture for more depth of field and tried to get the front part of the leaf sharper as well, but not so sharp as to be in competition with the drop. Keep practicing, use a spray bottle in the absence of rain, these images are not hard to re-create.
thanks for posting, i'll try your suggestions tomorrow!
10-07-2019, 03:24 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PabloFP Quote
a morning drop of water on a flower.

Nice shot!