Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Not really macro...
Lens: DA* 300mm f4 Camera: Pentax k-5 II Photo Location: Lake Louisa, Florida ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: MetteHHH, 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM

I still do not own a proper macro lens, but that doesn't stop me from being fascinated by tiny wildlife. My 300mm does allow me to try capturing some of it.

At Lake Louisa in Florida we had lots and lots of spiders - many of them big enough to be shot without a real macro lens. This one had a web that bridged two huge trees, and it was having cicada for lunch...

[IMG][/IMG]
Views: 726
11-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very good!
Well, there are so many ways you can do macro...
From macro filters, to teleconverters, to extension tubes, to simply reversing a lens...
I've taken my first pictures with a reversed 50mm and, granted, it is a PITA since when you stop down you don't see a thing, but it works!
11-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Very good!
Well, there are so many ways you can do macro...
From macro filters, to teleconverters, to extension tubes, to simply reversing a lens...
I've taken my first pictures with a reversed 50mm and, granted, it is a PITA since when you stop down you don't see a thing, but it works!
Thanks! Yes, I have promised myself to look into the whole reversing tube technique some time, since people post amazing results in here.

However, since I mostly practise on-the-go photography and like uncomplicated solutions, my main plan is to save for a proper macro lens, preferably the 100mm f2.8. Until then, I will probably just keep producing not-so-technically-impressive pictures of little creatures - because I can't help trying. For instance this regal jumping spider lived next to the door of our cabin at Lake Louisa, and he was CUTE!
[IMG][/IMG]
11-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Still, I would not argue that he is very cute, I think that all of the contrary and these furry paws .. brrrr

11-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
But surely furry with big eyes means cute, right? And look at all the arms he want to hug you with?
11-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice ... 300mm Works just fine
11-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

With golden orb weavers and cicada you could use a wide angle lens
Those spiders seriously freak me out with their size.

11-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
With golden orb weavers and cicada you could use a wide angle lens
Those spiders seriously freak me out with their size.
Golden orb weavers? Thanks Rob! I needed a species ID, but didn't really know where to look. With the jumping spider I just googled [huge jumping spider green chelicarae] - and there it was!

I'm not strong on Danish spider species - North American ones are completely alien to me. And, yep, they were huge. Also absolutely everywhere in the trees by the lake - looked like halloween decorations!