Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bench at The Morton Aboretum
Lens: Rokinon 14 mm prime Camera: Pentax K-5 IIs Photo Location: The Morton Aboretum, IL ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: chicagojohn, 11-03-2014, 04:06 PM

My first attempt using a Rokinon 14mm prime and my new Pentax K-5 IIs. I was looking for maximum resolution. I created a profile for this lens with this camera using Adobe Lens Profile Creator. I applied this correction in Adobe Camera Raw. I took a series of 8 images varying the focal length and I used Zerene on this focus stack to generate a composite image. These images were taken just after sunrise. I was happy with the resolution I obtained from this lens paired with the K-5 IIs, which, as you know, does not have an anti-aliasing filter which is why I bought it.

Views: 1,270
11-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bet you're happy with that resolution! what a great composite...I didnt know the k5ii had no aa filter,,,I thought the k3 was the first not to have it.....
11-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
I bet you're happy with that resolution! what a great composite...I didnt know the k5ii had no aa filter,,,I thought the k3 was the first not to have it.....
Thanks for your comments. As you said, the K3 has no filter either, but you can implement a simulated filter by way of pixel level vibration if moire is an issue, something I cannot do with the K-5 IIs, but I also have a K-5 . The Rokinon lens has some pretty severe bow-tie distortion, but it's very easy to correct by making a lens profile for use in CS6. Despite the disadvantage of no filter threads, I am very happy with the resolution of this combo of lens and camera, and especially at the price point for the lens. Can't wait to try more with it.

Thanks again for commenting!
11-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great bench shot in the early morning light. I cant say I have ever tried working with composite shots for focus, although I have seen some cool ones for macro work.

11-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Great bench shot in the early morning light. I cant say I have ever tried working with composite shots for focus, although I have seen some cool ones for macro work.
Thanks for your comment. Often in landscape you can use the hyperfocal distance approach to get the most distance you can in "acceptably sharp focus". But including a short stack can improve upon the resolution; same idea as in macro work where depth of acceptably sharp focus is very narrow, relatively, but with fewer images this can also be applied to landscape work. Thanks for your comment as it raises a good point.
11-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting technique you mentioned there. Good use of the 14mm lens, well-exposed and sharp. These Samyang 14mm can be terrific lenses, in capable hands, but beware a defective copy
11-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Interesting technique you mentioned there. Good use of the 14mm lens, well-exposed and sharp. These Samyang 14mm can be terrific lenses, in capable hands, but beware a defective copy

Thanks for the advice. So far, so good As I said, it does have quite a bit of bow-tie distortion, but easily corrected with a custom profile. I've seen no issues thus far but will report any I see going forward.

11-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you mind sharing the profile? I am interested in giving it a try. Maybe you can post it in the "Samyang club" thread, for others to see as well. Of course, this is a personal technique, I will completely understand if you cannot do this
11-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Would you mind sharing the profile? I am interested in giving it a try. Maybe you can post it in the "Samyang club" thread, for others to see as well. Of course, this is a personal technique, I will completely understand if you cannot do this
I'd be happy to e-mail you the profile file which you can then manually install (it is RAW, not JPG). And you can post it elsewhere if you wish. I'm not sure how to post a file like this. The Adobe Lens Profile creator comes with many checkerboards, and I used the 21 X 29 for this profile, printed at Costco and glued to 1/2" foamcore with 9 images shot in my studio using two strobes as recommended, and following their instructions to use the free software. Very simple process. For this one I checked both distortion and chromatic aberration correction.

You can either e-mail me at Chicago.john@hotmail.com and I'll send it back to you as an attachment, or you can send me instructions on how and where to post it; your choice.
« campfire | Pesca »