Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Brush fire in Keloana, British Columbia, Canada
Posted By: little laker, 05-17-2008, 10:45 PM

This is the second brush fire in this park in 3 weeks.

That's a CHBC Television camera man you see.







It burned around 3/4 of an acre this time, whereas the first one burned around an acre.

It's looking like it'll be another hot dry year here, so everyone is hoping that we won't have another fire season like in 2003.
see here
Views: 1,735
05-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,787
The first shot looks great, Stu. I like the smoke and the person on the lower left corner
05-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,709
Original Poster
Thanks James,

I should send it to the reporter, he might just like it as well
05-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Damn Brit
Guest




I hope you shouted at that amateur with the video camera to get out of the way.
I like the third one, dramatic.
Gary

05-18-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,915
Right place right time Stu - let's hope we keep the buring down to an acre those things can chew up real estate in a heartbeat.
05-18-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member
JCSullivan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Canada
Posts: 3,057
My nephew lives in Kelowna and my bro left yesterday morning. I've been invited so often, one of these days I'm gonna make it.

Stu, the first shot is excellent, yup, send to the vid-camera-man I'm sure he would appreciate it. Personally, I am also appreciating what journalists go thru to get the news.
05-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member
channeler's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northwich Cheshire England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
Good shots Stu. Scary stuff though. We talked to a lot of people who experienced the severe fires in the Okanagan in 2003.

Paul

05-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,850
Interesting and - in some ways - chilling shots, Stu. Are these things common in BC? Funny, I never think of Canada as susceptable to these things - I generally associate such fires with California, the US Southwest or mid-Florida.

Anyway, great job of grabbing some engaging images.

Jer
05-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Stu ... Grea pics!

Sailor ... Don't forget that 3/4 of Canada is forest and wildland... We get forest fires here that are larger than entire states in the US. The main difference is that most of our huge fires are not in heavily populated areas.

Pat
05-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member
vievetrick's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Easthampton - Massachusetts - USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,185
Some nice PJ shots here Stu. Hope you are safely away from the fire not only here in the pictures but your home and family. Good luck and hope for rain. Again nice work
05-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,709
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I hope you shouted at that amateur with the video camera to get out of the way.
I like the third one, dramatic.
Gary
Thanks Gary,

I didn't have a chance to shout to the camera man, as I was getting closer to the action
The fire department, and parks were really nice to all of us, and left us go pretty close to the fire for the pic's.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Right place right time Stu - let's hope we keep the buring down to an acre those things can chew up real estate in a heartbeat.
Your right Dave, those one acre at a time fire can really do some damage over time. It looks like this one may have been some children playing, but no one knew for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
My nephew lives in Kelowna and my bro left yesterday morning. I've been invited so often, one of these days I'm gonna make it.

Stu, the first shot is excellent, yup, send to the vid-camera-man I'm sure he would appreciate it. Personally, I am also appreciating what journalists go thru to get the news.
Thanks JC,
When you come over I hope that you can take a couple of extra hours out, for a photo shoot. Or to toss some flies

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Good shots Stu. Scary stuff though. We talked to a lot of people who experienced the severe fires in the Okanagan in 2003.

Paul
Thanks Paul,

I was living in Peachland during the 2003 fires. However they happened a week after that boat accident, and my lungs were in really bad shape due to my broken ribs and Sturnm.
So I was unable to go outside for any photographs

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Interesting and - in some ways - chilling shots, Stu. Are these things common in BC? Funny, I never think of Canada as susceptable to these things - I generally associate such fires with California, the US Southwest or mid-Florida.

Anyway, great job of grabbing some engaging images.

Jer
Jer,
Like Pat said we do have vast amounts of forest here. And at the present time BC has an insect killing several of our pine trees, making a bigger fire hazard in some areas.
However the biggest thing here is Kelowna is semi desert, and that was a very dry year.
Canada's only real desert is around an hours drive from here.

We seem to get one big fire in the Okanagan Valley every 10 years or so, just not usually that big.
05-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,709
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Stu ... Grea pics!

Sailor ... Don't forget that 3/4 of Canada is forest and wildland... We get forest fires here that are larger than entire states in the US. The main difference is that most of our huge fires are not in heavily populated areas.

Pat
Thanks Pat

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Some nice PJ shots here Stu. Hope you are safely away from the fire not only here in the pictures but your home and family. Good luck and hope for rain. Again nice work
Thanks Pat,
My uncle living 2 blocks away was evacuated in 2003, so I imagine that my present house was as well. Although I never asked.

However I'm keeping safe.
I've done some forest fire training, and even worked in the field a little. So I'm probably a little better prepared than most people would be.

Even if the fires are bad my place is just about the safest place to be.
With the BIG airport just across the street they'll do everything they can to put the fires out before it gets this far.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
acre, brush, camera, fire, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie from British Columbia Canada edwin Welcomes and Introductions 4 03-04-2010 02:36 AM
Alberta and British Columbia, Canada. (many images) Jonson PL Post Your Photos! 20 03-21-2009 08:37 PM
Hello from British Columbia, Canada asteed Welcomes and Introductions 1 01-25-2009 05:19 PM
2 waterscapes, from Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada little laker Post Your Photos! 5 03-15-2008 08:44 AM
Kelowna British Columbia Canada little laker Post Your Photos! 3 03-23-2007 10:31 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top