Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Late Afternoon
Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Zion National Park 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Trying to capture the mood of late afternoon at Zion, the moments after it's really too late to be called daylight anymore, but before sunset really gets going. It's great to get a glass of wine and a tripod with a remote and just watch the show unfold.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,033
11-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Trying to capture the mood of late afternoon at Zion, the moments after it's really too late to be called daylight anymore, but before sunset really gets going. It's great to get a glass of wine and a tripod with a remote and just watch the show unfold.
You must do your photography very tough (wine and remote). What a setting and masterful captures.
11-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've found that a fine Merlot goes perfect at Zion. All captures are wonderful Jerry.
11-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
You must do your photography very tough (wine and remote). What a setting and masterful captures.
Thanks you gmans!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I've found that a fine Merlot goes perfect at Zion. All captures are wonderful Jerry.
Thanks Bob. I've found that even a beer will work in a pinch.
Interestingly, picture #3 looks very different on here compared to my workstation. The shadow area is a lot more exposed than on the original. Maybe it's just my laptop monitor.

11-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looks good to me, it gets darker as it progressed from left to right due to the setting sun and colors are very true. Maybe a beer might help, lol...This is just as I remember the area which we love to visit. Just curious if you went over to Bryce Canyon?
11-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
looks good to me, it gets darker as it progressed from left to right due to the setting sun and colors are very true. Maybe a beer might help, lol...This is just as I remember the area which we love to visit. Just curious if you went over to Bryce Canyon?
Nope, still haven't been to Bryce, saving that for another trip. We did take the drive to the Grand Canyon North Rim, which was a very enjoyable and scenic route.
11-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, still haven't been to Bryce, saving that for another trip. We did take the drive to the Grand Canyon North Rim, which was a very enjoyable and scenic route.
I highly recommend Bryce Canyon, you'll really enjoy the area Jerry.

11-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good pictures!
But you could improve your beautiful fotos using levels and sharpness... Try this.
11-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I highly recommend Bryce Canyon, you'll really enjoy the area Jerry.
I will make it there for sure! Within a year or two.

QuoteOriginally posted by olegp Quote
Good pictures!
But you could improve your beautiful fotos using levels and sharpness... Try this.
Thanks for your comments!

I use both curves and sharpness on every picture, including each of these. Maybe they're slightly out of focus? My eyesight is not that good and I sometimes have trouble with focusing and being able to distinguish whether an image is in sharp focus (especially if I have my contacts on!). But what were you thinking about curves, where would you like to use curves in these photos? These were processed in Aperture, not Lightroom or Photoshop so maybe they have a slightly different look than you're used to.
11-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I use both curves and sharpness on every picture, including each of these. Maybe they're slightly out of focus? My eyesight is not that good and I sometimes have trouble with focusing and being able to distinguish whether an image is in sharp focus (especially if I have my contacts on!). But what were you thinking about curves, where would you like to use curves in these photos? These were processed in Aperture, not Lightroom or Photoshop so maybe they have a slightly different look than you're used to.
Maybe I have a slightly different perception, because we are all different.
If you would allow me, I will try to process your photo #1 in a simple and free image editor (for example, Xnview - not LR or PS...), and show the result in this thread or by private link. Here is quite a bit to increase the contrast (by "levels" operation) and add some sharpness.
11-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe I have a slightly different perception, because we are all different.
If you would allow me, I will try to process your photo #1 in a simple and free image editor (for example, Xnview - not LR or PS...), and show the result in this thread or by private link. Here is quite a bit to increase the contrast (by "levels" operation) and add some sharpness.
Looking forward to see what you come up with! I can email the full sized original if you're feeling really ambitious.
11-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Looking forward to see what you come up with! I can email the full sized original if you're feeling really ambitious.
No, no, it's not ambition!
Anyway, look at your private messages...
11-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, no, it's not ambition!
Anyway, look at your private messages...
Thanks, I had a look. I think it looks good, but here it's a matter of taste. Either version is fine for me, but in this case I liked the contrast between the darker cliffs in the shade with the light on the peaks, so I wanted it a bit darker. I processed another picture from this same place more like your version, because I wanted to be able to see the cliffs better. Anyway, thanks for taking the time! I will look into the free software you recommended - I have to change soon because I use Aperture and Apple has announced that they will no longer support it..