Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Waning Day
Lens: Pentax 17-70 mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Utah 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 11-04-2014, 10:21 PM

More of these late afternoon shots that I'm really a sucker for. The first is Kolob Canyon in Zion, the second is a butte in northern Arizona, near Kanab, Utah. I actually had to desaturate the red alpenglow on this one it was so bright.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 812
11-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Love the lighting on these -- very nice
11-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
great photo - cloud on both photos - perfectly complement your landscape!
Natures second photo - just perfect, I love snow! It`s both cold and warm (the sun falls on the mountain)
11-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jer, could you give us a geologic explanation on the second photo? It appears that the remaining sandstone is the last to erode from a harder substance on the mountain, that is a remarkable photo and study of geology. thanks......

11-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
More of these late afternoon shots that I'm really a sucker for. The first is Kolob Canyon in Zion, the second is a butte in northern Arizona, near Kanab, Utah. I actually had to desaturate the red alpenglow on this one it was so bright.

The second one looks like a volcano bleeding. I wouldn't mind a bit more brightness on it, I feel the brutality of subject matter allows for it.
Great scenery.
11-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Love the lighting on these -- very nice
Thanks for the comment esrandall!

QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
great photo - cloud on both photos - perfectly complement your landscape!
Natures second photo - just perfect, I love snow! It`s both cold and warm (the sun falls on the mountain)
Thanks gor80 for all your feedback and suggestions

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jer, could you give us a geologic explanation on the second photo? It appears that the remaining sandstone is the last to erode from a harder substance on the mountain, that is a remarkable photo and study of geology. thanks......
I think you mean, why does the sandstone tend to form cliffs? This is because the sandstone is very hard and resistant to weathering, while the shale layers between the sandstone are not. Erosion by stream currents, freeze-thaw cycles, roots and burrowing, and chemical alteration over the years will affect the softer shales much more than the sandstone. Over time more material will be removed from the shales than the hard sandstones, resulting in undercuts. If enough shale is carved out, the overlying sandstone becomes unstable and will eventually collapse along a vertical plane, pushing the cliff back. The collapse debris piles up, much of it is carried away over time by stream action, and you're left with a platform or terrace formed in the shale layer, and the process begins anew. If you go to Zion or the Grand Canyon, you'll see that these terraces are always softer rock, while the cliffs are always harder rock. You'll see these sandstone overhangs too if you look for them.

Now think about the scale of geologic time. Suppose one of these cliff collapse events happens every 10,000 years, and the cliff retreats 100 feet after the collapse. After 1,000,000 years, this will mean the cliffs would retreat 10,000 feet, or 2 miles, and this is a very short time geologically speaking. The rocks exposed at Zion and the Grand Canyon are many times older than that.

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
The second one looks like a volcano bleeding. I wouldn't mind a bit more brightness on it, I feel the brutality of subject matter allows for it.
Great scenery.
Thanks cxdoo! It looked like a day goo poster and I was afraid people would say it was over saturated. But maybe you're right.
11-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks Jerry, I was just amazed at the small amount of sandstone left on the shale, never seen this before. It is like it is flowing down the mountain.

11-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
thanks Jerry, I was just amazed at the small amount of sandstone left on the shale, never seen this before. It is like it is flowing down the mountain.
Yes, lots of accumulated collapse debris spreading out over the shale slopes.