Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Footsteps on a frozen river
Posted By: rrstuff, 11-05-2014, 03:08 AM

This usually doesn't happen, but it seems like someone took a trip across the river. I used to live right by the bank and I even saw people skating on Charles River... frantically, in a visibly scared way.

Attached Images

Views: 736
11-05-2014, 04:57 AM   #2

The low angle light and texture it provides in the immediate foreground accentuate the way in which the tracks at once provide a strong leading line and a clear feeling of depth and distance that give your image a definite 3-D sense.

If this were my picture, I'd consider how I might like a crop that would leave in all of the foreground but take out some of the sky which, for me, is not adding to the image in this particular case. I would keep it in portrait aspect ratio but maybe try a 4 X 5 aspect ration crop (8 X 10" print).

Nice find and capture!
11-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uf, reminds me back when I lived in Canada, when people drove jeeps across frozen rivers, then drilled holes for fishing! I heard stories that people sometimes go fishing too late in the winter, when the ice is not as stable anymore, and can fall in. Its worse with rivers than lakes, because the river has a current that can pull a person under the ice!
11-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I cam imagined they would be visibly nervous! the perpsective really makes the shot...the big city, small in the back, the footsteps large in the foreground dominating and the powerful white dominating the composition...storytelling and beauty well integrated....

11-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really interesting composition, probably I would have taken it in landscape orientation but I don't think that the picture would have been so interesting. I almost never use portrait orientation, I don't know why...
By the way, I would never say that it actually is a river!
11-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chicagojohn Quote
The low angle light and texture it provides in the immediate foreground accentuate the way in which the tracks at once provide a strong leading line and a clear feeling of depth and distance that give your image a definite 3-D sense.

If this were my picture, I'd consider how I might like a crop that would leave in all of the foreground but take out some of the sky which, for me, is not adding to the image in this particular case. I would keep it in portrait aspect ratio but maybe try a 4 X 5 aspect ration crop (8 X 10" print).

Nice find and capture!
Hi,

I think your point about cropping is good one, and stated in a very polite way. I do agree there is a lot of empty space on top, it will probably look better when I crop it.
Thank you!