Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dolomedes Aquaticus
Lens: Sigma DG 70-300mm Macro Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Upper Hutt, New Zealand 
Posted By: MarkJerling, 11-05-2014, 04:56 PM

The New Zealand Water Spider, Dolomedes Aquaticus. This spider, while more than 3" across, can actually walk on water. It also dives underwater and can stay submerged for some minutes.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-09-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Views: 1,041
11-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot of that nasty looking bugger.--charliezap
11-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Great shot of that nasty looking bugger.--charliezap
Thank you! It's quite harmless actually. (But I don't much like spiders either!)
11-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Who said there was no spiders in NZ, don't tell me the walked across the ditch being water spiders.

11-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a pretty spider. I can see how the dense 'fur' would keep the water away from respiratory system during diving.
11-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You did well considering your phobia....

(focal length from exif noted ...Focal Length 300.0mm (35mm equivalent: 450mm) )
11-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
seperate from the startling tight, intricate portrait of this creature...the simple, bold color composition makes for a beautiful photo....blow this one up....would make for a great living room centerpiece.......

11-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Who said there was no spiders in NZ, don't tell me the walked across the ditch being water spiders.
It's a long walk from Ausie! No, plenty of spiders here, just not too many badly poisonous ones. We have a Katipo which is like a Black Widow spider, but seldom encountered. And, of course the White Tails which are an import from your part of the world, but most of the others are only mildly venomous, if at all.

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
This is a pretty spider. I can see how the dense 'fur' would keep the water away from respiratory system during diving.
Yes, you're right - They apparently breathe by trapping bubbles under the abdomen.

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 12:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
You did well considering your phobia....

(focal length from exif noted ...Focal Length 300.0mm (35mm equivalent: 450mm) )
Well, Bob, I was standing in the stream in my gumboots with my legs planted well apart. If said critter made a run for one of the gumboots I think the photo moment would have been spoiled. Luckily, it just sat there waiting for me to go away!

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 12:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
seperate from the startling tight, intricate portrait of this creature...the simple, bold color composition makes for a beautiful photo....blow this one up....would make for a great living room centerpiece.......
Thank you! I've been thinking of having it printed to canvas.