Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
I built a new feeder, if you build it they will come
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard 
Posted By: normhead, 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM

The birds and squirrels seem to approve so far, well, at least, there's been no formal complaints... form filled in, in triplicate, submitted to the proper departments..

And of course the old feeders are still popular...

Last edited by normhead; 11-05-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Views: 2,325
11-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Be careful with the birds, they have the best lawyers at all!!
Beautiful pictures (as always), I guess that is really difficult to shot birds (big focal length, very fast movements...), I have never had the chance to try so far.
11-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It certainly takes patience, you have to train yourself not to follow them too much, point the lens , wait until they fly to the spot, but they still often don't come to the spot until you get tired and turn away. But all these guys move fast.

Last edited by normhead; 11-05-2014 at 07:02 PM.
11-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Same old gang eh, Norm. Love the way jays try to be sneaky as though a mere human is not going to noticed brilliant, iridescent blue against drab or snowy backgrounds. Great series once again.

11-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Nice shots. Hey isn't it cheating to lure them in with tasty treats for a quick picture
11-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Same old gang eh, Norm. Love the way jays try to be sneaky as though a mere human is not going to noticed brilliant, iridescent blue against drab or snowy backgrounds. Great series once again.
Ya, same ol customers, we haven't got our finches yet, sooner or later we end up with a flock of Redpolls, Purple Finches or Goldfinches, usually only one species per winter, same thing with the Grosbeaks, We get Evening Grosbeaks, Pine Grosbeaks or Red Breasted Grosbeaks. Apparently territories haven't been divided up yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
Nice shots. Hey isn't it cheating to lure them in with tasty treats for a quick picture
The birds know it's cheating and they've filed a grievance. Arbitration starts Monday.
11-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A clear case of symbiosis in nature: photographers building feeders, birds posing for photos.

11-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
A clear case of symbiosis in nature: photographers building feeders, birds posing for photos.
ha ha, I wish they'd pose...most of them are in and out before I can find them in the viewfinder..
11-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
ha ha, I wish they'd pose...most of them are in and out before I can find them in the viewfinder..
That's bad! After all this effort they don't show neither a little bit of love!
11-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #10

I'm learning my way around
11-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is quite a setup you have , Norm.

Nice to be away from the city too!

Which brings me to this: would you have any suggestion(s) relating to a recent thread I have started here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/161-birding-group/3611-unwanted-wi...void-them.html

I am having one tough time with the "unwanted" birds around here during the winter.
I thought of asking since you seem to have the "expert" set up !

Cheers!
11-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Boy oh boy...jpzk... friggin pigeons... when I lived in Toronto one crapped on my bald head once just as I came out of the grocery store with my hands full of bags. I'll never forget the feel of it trickling down my face.

We don't have them here. A few times we've seen doves...never pigeons, thank goodness.

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 10:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maria1091 Quote
I'm learning my way around
Well, nice of you to drop in.... you might want to make a post here and introduce yourself... click n this link.

Welcomes and Introductions - PentaxForums.com
11-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
The birds and squirrels seem to approve so far, well, at least, there's been no formal complaints... form filled in, in triplicate, submitted to the proper departments..
HaHa, love it. Good work with the feeder. Bet you are possibly their only hope of surviving those horrible winters, so there better not be any complaining.
11-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #14

Great feeder Great photos.
I also feed, looks like we share the same birds
11-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
HaHa, love it. Good work with the feeder. Bet you are possibly their only hope of surviving those horrible winters, so there better not be any complaining.
When we aren't home over the holidays they seem to do just fine. Some expert said somewhere that birds don't like to get more than 20% of their food from one location. Although if you have a flock of grosbeaks, or small finches, I'm pretty sure they just move to someone else's feeder. When we snowshoe though the bush where there are no feeders we always see chickadees and sometimes other birds..

QuoteOriginally posted by hlk134 Quote
Great feeder Great photos.
I also feed, looks like we share the same birds
If you live in the great white north.. you probably have the same birds. I flew out to see my grandson in Calgary a few years ago... same birds, different feeder.