Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pigeon hunt
Posted By: MetteHHH, 11-06-2014, 04:02 PM

An assignment for a hunting magazine - but they demanded pics of dead pigeons as well, and my hunter had no luck - so it is not currently sellable! I am hanging on to it though, in case he is in luck one of the next days while I am busy at my day job...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON 1 AW1  Photo 

Views: 897
11-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
seriously...they demanded a dead pigeon shot? This is so much more engaging.....but I do have to ask....how come he had no luck...he seems to have a fairly easy shot if he wants it!...In any case it's a really beautiful shot...storytelling, in a much more interesting and less obvious way......
11-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Oh - Phoenix! He could have shot those, but they would have looked bad afterwards, and tasted worse! Those are plastic decoys - for persuading the pigeons to land!

There were loads of pigeons around though - but none landed, even after we hid in the trees. Probably mostly because his dog was bored and refused to stay still for ten seconds at a time.

They want dead pigeons because what he promised them was an article about pigeon hunting (this hunter is also a free lance journalist), and I suppose they wanted the article to include some sort of proof that he knew what he was talking about...
11-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Oh - Phoenix! He could have shot those, but they would have looked bad afterwards, and tasted worse! Those are plastic decoys - for persuading the pigeons to land!

There were loads of pigeons around though - but none landed, even after we hid in the trees. Probably mostly because his dog was bored and refused to stay still for ten seconds at a time.

They want dead pigeons because what he promised them was an article about pigeon hunting (this hunter is also a free lance journalist), and I suppose they wanted the article to include some sort of proof that he knew what he was talking about...
That's great - I also was wondering until I had a closer look as they seem very tame.

11-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
thank you very cruel man, using such techniques ..
11-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
thank you very cruel man, using such techniques ..
Actually, getting the birds nicely within range before shooting them would be the opposite of cruel in my view...

The whole hunting ethics debate is probably not something to get into here, but unless you are a vegetarian game is just about the most animal welfare friendly meat there is. When you eat game you eat meat from animals that had a free and natural life prior to being eaten.

Of course hunting must be regulated to protect wild species. These wood pigeons have a huge and growing population in Denmark, and hunting is only allowed in November - February.
11-07-2014, 03:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Actually, getting the birds nicely within range before shooting them would be the opposite of cruel in my view...

The whole hunting ethics debate is probably not something to get into here, but unless you are a vegetarian game is just about the most animal welfare friendly meat there is. When you eat game you eat meat from animals that had a free and natural life prior to being eaten.

Of course hunting must be regulated to protect wild species. These wood pigeons have a huge and growing population in Denmark, and hunting is only allowed in November - February.
thank you very much for the clarification.
Hunting - it's a difficult moment. because many eat meat, but do not kill animals ..
In principle, I believe that a man - a meat-eater by nature. So hunting for food - it's a normal thing.
But to hurt animals for pleasure - it's bad

11-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha Thanks for clarification on the decoy pigeons! Understand they want to see the hunter and his prey, but still think they missed a jewel of alead photo....if not cover....