Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
MLB - Phillies vs. Blue Jays 5-18-08
Posted By: Crew, 05-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Had some great seats, brought the camera along! Not happy with all of them, but overall had a great time. Enjoy! C&C definitely welcome.

6. If you look close, you can see Utley getting hit..

8. Looks like a strike, actually a hit!

14. Utley cuts off, throws home...

15. ..and he's OUT!

Thanks for looking! =)
Views: 2,894
05-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Matt,

On a quick tour through your images I must say that you should feel better about them than you stated at the opening. I only see two problems and for the most part they are negated by the fact that you have captured some very good images. The images show that you understand the flow of the game and that given the right equipment... who knows.

Your problems are; first: You do not have the proper white balance and all your images are overcast with red and perhaps a touch of yellow. That is easily batch correctable as I don't remember the K100D having custom color correction.

The second problem is that your lenses are a little on the slow side /and/or your ISO setting was a little too low.

Good pictures... too bad its the Phillies

Stephen
05-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Cool pics

I'll agree on the white balance -- defnitely off but very easily corrected

As for the shutter / ISO - I disagree with SCGushue -- I like the slight ball and runner blurs, they add action to the scene

And, almost totally unrelated, I like your little signature on the bottom right corner -- Fits baseball theme very well and makes the pictures almost look like baseball cards
05-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
Cool pics

I'll agree on the white balance -- defnitely off but very easily corrected

As for the shutter / ISO - I disagree with SCGushue -- I like the slight ball and runner blurs, they add action to the scene

I know what you mean about motion blur and I can understand your position on it. In certain circumstances it can be most effective.

My comments though were based upon my experiences working the sidelines at Giant Stadium for years covering both Soccer and Football for national publications in the late 70's. Without exception my publishers and clients wanted sharp, "frozen" subjects without a trace of blur in the athletes. That's not to say, however, that I have not sold really slow shutterspeed images when combined with a pan to produce the occasional artsy image. But those were 100:1 in sales and didn't pay the bills.

Stephen

05-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
First, thank you both!

I will definitely admit to the WB being off. When I was shooting, I had chosen Auto, but my images did not appear to capture the vibrant color that was available. I finally settled on the "Cloudy" pre-setting, after exhausting various other options, but as you said, correctable!

I shot most of these with a 135mm f2.8, and admittedly some shots are a bit out of focus, but the lens is fully manual. I tried my best to stay with the runner and focus at the same time. Utley (2nd baseman) taking that throw in the 2nd to last photo took place immediately before he threw it to Coste (catcher) to make the play at the plate.. so I had to refocus a bit while finding the catcher quickly. I also went through a ton of shots to pick these out, as there were many, many mistakes.

Lastly, thanks for the kudos on the signature! I wanted something simple and understated, I think it works. Never even thought to picture it as a baseball card!

Thanks for taking the time to post guys, I appreciate the feedback and it will definitely help!
05-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do agree with you, Stephen. I wish the shots were frozen, but I'm just a college student and that glass is not in my budget right now. I can't wait until it is though! Who knows what the future will bring..
05-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You have images that you should be proud off,certainly not the greatest but for what you have I'd be very well pleased with myself

Thanks for sharing

cheers

05-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

nice shots in tough conditions, would be great to see these photos with the WB corrected
and go Jays go !
05-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
You have images that you should be proud off,certainly not the greatest but for what you have I'd be very well pleased with myself

Thanks for sharing

cheers
Thanks! I know that they could be better but for only spending $10 on the lens, it serves me well.

Go Phils!
05-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #10

Quite nice images from a great game! (Jays all the way! )
As others have said your WB spoils the images and also they are all a tad underexposed. With a little editing they'll look much better!
And nicely done with the focusing, you should of brought your 70-210 AF (or 300) and given those a try out as well.

Thanks
05-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here's a couple I brought into PS and hit with "auto color". I think they're starting to look a lot better already.

05-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Crew, a lot has already been said so I will not repeat. I have to say I think you did a great job under the circumstances. Even more when you think about the fact these are manually focused ! I have shot more then a few games from the stands at Fenway Park (home of the Red Sox for those that are not aware ) and night shooting is the worst for lighting and WB. RAW is my friend and usually settle on auto and re adjust when I get home. You already have improvements with your edit above and have no doubt you can rescue most if not all of these. I have to say I have often said "it would be so much better shooting during the day" I am wrong as the sun makes it easy on the WB but tough on the shadows and the blown highllights. Good luck!!! great seats by the way. GO SOX!!!
05-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

GO CUBS LOL

i have shot a good bit of bace ball ok not the BIG time games but it all works the same LOL

this game is a bit more perdictable then others ie.. one knows about where the ball and players will be a lot of the time. so what you do is pre focice and wate when you are using MF lenes.

for exaple players are more likly to slied in to 2nd 3 and home so depinding on where your at pick one that is the best for you at the angle your at focise on the bace and wate till a play happens. also 2nd is the most stolen bace ( it seems to me) so if there is a player on 1st that is more likely to stell 2nd focice there and what till he duse. this will save you a LOT of effrt and have a highter % of good shots.

i like the ones you did
05-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Nathan. I'm happy with them too. I started towards the end doing just that, focusing on a point and waiting for some action.. worked out well at first! Not as easy when I was following a runner (especially one as fast as J-Roll )
05-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Matt,
nice baseball pictures! The set with the WB corrected look pretty good. As far as shooting a lot of mistakes, I think that's just part of trying to catch the action.

I enjoyed these, thanks for posting them

Tim