Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Boone Hall Plantation, So. Carolina
Posted By: TomInJax, 05-18-2008, 05:40 PM

My wife and I decided to play tourist this weekend, so we traveled to the Charleston area and discovered this plantation. The weather was perfect Saturday! We had a great time. Most photos were taken with a polarizer and cropped for size. A couple were cropped for composition.

The Boone Hall Plantation is a working plantation that is privately owned. The plantation used to produce cotton and rice, but now produces strawberries, squash, tomatoes, berries, melons, and other fruits and vegetables. The plantation was originally started in the 1700s. For more information you can go to the website: BOONE HALL PLANTATION: Home

The driveway covered by beautiful oak trees:

A pond on the plantation

Slave cabins

Inside a slave cabin

The plantation house

I call this one the Ghost Tree (a dead tree covered in spanish moss)

A Magnolia Tree flower

Views: 1,534
05-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful.
God, I miss magnolias.
THAT'S the kind of place I'd have if only I had been successful in life.
05-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Ed in GA

I like all of those Tom.

The Slave Cabins is a nearly perfect shot. If there's any way you could clone out those people at the end.

The Magnolia Blossom is teriffic.

All of that area around Charleston, SC is georgeous.

Very, very nice series.

Ed
05-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ed!

The weather was perfect and we spent the day there. I did take some of the same photos later in the day, and the light had changed a lot. It seems that the early light is the best for these type of pictures. Most of these were taken between 10:00am and 12:00. The photos in the later afternoon had a harsher light, and the air had a bit more haze in it.

05-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Beautiful.
God, I miss magnolias.
THAT'S the kind of place I'd have if only I had been successful in life.
Thanks! I love the smell of a Magnolia flower! It reminds me of citrus. I have a small Magnolia tree in my back yard. Too bad each bloom only lasts a couple days.

One thing I learned a long time ago, examine the flower carefully before taking a big smell! I almost got a bee sting when I was little!
05-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #6

Ghost tree is awesome! All the shots are really good. I would have liked to see #1 taken from the center of the road with the canopy of trees...
05-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It must be the southern charm beautifully captured

cheers

05-19-2008, 03:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Truax_photo Quote
Ghost tree is awesome! All the shots are really good. I would have liked to see #1 taken from the center of the road with the canopy of trees...
I don't have one that is centered on the drive to the house. But I have this one, looking through the gates to the house: