Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First portrait shoot - Tougher than I thought!
Posted By: cputeq, 05-18-2008, 06:41 PM

After today, I learned I have a lot more to learn about portrait shooting

------

I took my K200D with the FA50 f/1.4 and Tamron Di LD 70-300 to an art gallery. Their grounds are very shady, scenic (sorta) and just nice to shoot photos in.

I came up with some okay shots, but what's troubling me is that several of my shots were COMPLETELY out of focus. Out of about 40 shots, I had to discard 6 or so, one of which would have been outstanding

Normally, this wouldn't trouble me, but during this shoot I had time. Time to compose, set the shot, etc. Most of the blurred shots used a f/2.8 or so, but some were totally off on larger aperatures I have no idea what's going on.

Some of the examples (both good and bad):

Dad on tree BW conversion:

Mom and Dad Sunny

I really wanted that picture to work. The first couple of fill flash shots were way overexposed.... I still don't know why the camera was doing that, unless maybe my shutter speed couldn't go fast enough. Notice the dad slightly OOF

The Kiss - B&W + grain conversion

Son on Ground - BW conversion

Holding Hands - BW Conversion

My favorite photo of the whole shoot isn't a portrait at all...go figure! I actually used a sharpen filter followed by a very slight gaussian blur with neato results.

Family Bridge

Can you spot the boo-boo? Here's a hint : Treehead

Couple of Bridge F/2.0

OOF strikes again

Family on Bridge Rail

I also have this with all three in focus, but the background bokeh wasn't satisfactory -- I like how this is almost the kid's portrait with additional support subjects

And finally, the finale!

Photo BooBoo Hat Trick

Not 1, or 2..but three mistakes (maybe more!).

1) Treehead
2) Strange pose (I couldn't tell them how to pose)
3) Construction tape in background! Just noticed it about 10 minutes ago.

------

Thankfully the family was really cool (I work with the dad), and it doesn't hurt that the shoot was free for them. I certainly needed the experience and it helps build my portfolio. Plus, they got 35 free digital photos and I printed about 10 4x6s for them.

Any critiques and comments welcome -- I think I need to make a list of Do's and Don'ts, as I seemlingly forgot about the treehead rule, etc.
Views: 1,238
05-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have had issues with the wide open lense problems...the DOF is so short that if the camera autofocuses on just the wrong thing, your subject will be out. I have made an effort to make sure I am happy with F stop first, then verify time.. If I have to, a tripod is brought out to handle the longer exposures... A pain I know, but I too get sick of the OOF issues.
Happy Shooting!