Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Stones on the Bay
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Camera: Pentax K-5 
Posted By: Pablom, 11-08-2014, 03:06 PM

Rhodes bay watching the city. This is where the Colossus of Rhodes supposedly stood, acknowledged as one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.
This is not really my field of expertise so C&C is very appreciated.

(Click photo for larger version)

Rhodes Bay
by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr
Views: 1,423
11-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 732
Very fine! I like the softness of the water an reflections! What exposure time was used?
11-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Millionth Poster!
Scottnorwo's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stafford, New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,070
beautiful picture. nicely balanced and wonderful colors
11-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 315
I'm a fan of the water with its plastic appearance, not the typical smoky look of LE. Of particular interest to me are the building lights and how they reflect and diffuse both on the buildings themselves, but also the water surface. Bravo!

11-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Балашиха
Photos: Albums
Posts: 595
good and interesting photo at sunset under a clear sky it always turns out perfectly!
11-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,723
Well done!
11-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian
olegp's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Togliatti, Russia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 920
Nine composition and beautiful picture
11-09-2014, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member
phoenixvision's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,458
To offer some quick history on the collosus...it only stood for about fifty years...constructed to honor the God of the sun, Helios, some 290 years bc in honor of a RHodes victory over the invading Cypriots...it was destroyed about fifty years later by an Earth quake, breaking the 30 meter high warrior at his knees and sending th body crashing onn to land...the left of this photo.....

11-09-2014, 04:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Pablom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 1,940
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
Very fine! I like the softness of the water an reflections! What exposure time was used?
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
beautiful picture. nicely balanced and wonderful colors
QuoteOriginally posted by gildedfool Quote
I'm a fan of the water with its plastic appearance, not the typical smoky look of LE. Of particular interest to me are the building lights and how they reflect and diffuse both on the buildings themselves, but also the water surface. Bravo!
Thanks for the comments. This was a 0.8s exposure. I did a few longer exposures (5s or so) a few minutes later that did get the "smokey look" but I like this one better.

---------- Post added 9th Nov 2014 at 14:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
good and interesting photo at sunset under a clear sky it always turns out perfectly!
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well done!
QuoteOriginally posted by olegp Quote
Nine composition and beautiful picture
Thanks for the comments!

---------- Post added 9th Nov 2014 at 14:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
To offer some quick history on the collosus...it only stood for about fifty years...constructed to honor the God of the sun, Helios, some 290 years bc in honor of a RHodes victory over the invading Cypriots...it was destroyed about fifty years later by an Earth quake, breaking the 30 meter high warrior at his knees and sending th body crashing onn to land...the left of this photo.....
Thanks for the info, I did not know that.
11-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
Senior Member
johan kruger's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South AFrica
Photos: Albums
Posts: 298
I don't think you could have done much better. Maybe just crop that bottom rock off that is a bit out of focus.
11-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Pablom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 1,940
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johan kruger Quote
I don't think you could have done much better. Maybe just crop that bottom rock off that is a bit out of focus.
Thanks for your suggestion
11-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
takis63's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,023
Nice!
11-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
MSL
Veteran Member
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,468
Superb. Moody. Lots of fine detail. Just a touch of color. Don't change a thing.
11-12-2014, 03:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Pablom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 1,940
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by takis63 Quote
Nice!
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Superb. Moody. Lots of fine detail. Just a touch of color. Don't change a thing.
Thanks!
11-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian
redcat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,892
I'd love to crop this photo a little bit to emphasize the city and less the rocks the color is already stunning, I love that ^^
Attached Images
 
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bay, camera, colossus, comments, exposure, fifty, honor, night, nov, photo, picture, post, rhodes, rodos, stones, thanks, water
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape The stones Piotrek K Post Your Photos! 11 11-09-2014 07:44 AM
Landscape sittin' on the dock of the bay... dcmsox2004 Post Your Photos! 6 02-26-2014 06:03 PM
Pentax-A 100mm /2.8 on the Bay keyofnight Pentax Price Watch 21 08-14-2013 01:01 PM
Landscape On the bay jct us101 Post Your Photos! 3 06-29-2010 06:02 PM
Buckeye on the Bay Sailor Post Your Photos! 9 03-18-2008 11:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top