Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Glassy Water on the River
Camera: K5II 
Posted By: GryphonPhotoCat, 11-09-2014, 12:12 PM

30 second exposure in the middle of the day through welding glass. Spent some time color correcting as the overall image was bright green. I like the supper smooth look of the water and hope I was able to get the colors to look right after all. I have a original and a black and white and this one. Wondering if I should post them.

What do you think of the over all composition? The falls are a bit dead center but the green is off set... Not sure how I feel about the image overall. I cropped in tight above to help remove distractions.
Views: 1,159
11-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Would help if I actually included the image I'm talking about.... Rolls eyes at him self.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
11-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I LOVE the slow exposure on the water.....nicely captured settings wth the daylight and slow exposure.....not sure if the colors are realistic, only because I dont know what the scene looked like, but it doesnt matter they look great, nicely balanced, perfect contrast.....the top line crop does feel a little....forced maybe, but didnt notice it till you mentioned it....perhaps it is because you didnt keep the aspect ratio...but you have to do what you have to do...would be nice to see the original....and what you mean by welding glass as well....
11-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm curious about the welding glass, too. Did you set up inside of a welding mask, or did you just affix some plating to the camera in some fashion? Nice shot, too by the by.

11-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice shot. glassy water is fabulous.
11-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
I LOVE the slow exposure on the water.....nicely captured settings wth the daylight and slow exposure.....not sure if the colors are realistic, only because I dont know what the scene looked like, but it doesnt matter they look great, nicely balanced, perfect contrast.....the top line crop does feel a little....forced maybe, but didnt notice it till you mentioned it....perhaps it is because you didnt keep the aspect ratio...but you have to do what you have to do...would be nice to see the original....and what you mean by welding glass as well....
I was using this technique - http://www.q8ieng.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/welding-glass-filter_10.jpg - Hope the link comes through.

I included a copy of the original image to give you an idea. The welding glass has a very very strong green color cast. So I tried to get the colors back to looking more normal but still vibrant and with a touch of warmth in the yellows and oranges. I know it doesn't look really realistic but compared to the original I was quite happy with the results.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
11-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The moon is out full, providing some good lighting. You should be able to accomplish something similar stopped down or with a light neutral gradient filter. Very nice shot...

11-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow...you did a great job adjusting the color from that......I do like the original crop better though...what made you decide to crop the top it looks like a nice frame in the original...?
11-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #9

nice slow water. I do like the crop.
11-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
Wow...you did a great job adjusting the color from that......I do like the original crop better though...what made you decide to crop the top it looks like a nice frame in the original...?
I think it was the man made structures in the upper right corner that bothered me at first. Thinking back on it now I can't remember why I cropped it so tight. I think I just found the upper area busy and wanted to focus more on the area below.