Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Scarborough Faire (RenFest) today
Posted By: WJW, 05-18-2008, 11:18 PM

Went to Scarborough Renaissance Festival (near Dallas) today and managed to get a few decent shots from the jousting.

*ist DS2, Sigma 28-105 APO, ISO 200, all taken between 60 & 105mm, F4

Catching thrown rings before the joust

Sir Roddrick collecting favours

The first pass

The second pass

The seconds start fighting

Sir William is carried from the field

Views: 2,293
05-19-2008, 03:00 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Way cool. I like 2 and 5 the best. In 2 I like the composition and expression. I'm not really sure about the crop (if it is a crop) in 5. I'd like to see a little more space behind the guy on the right. But then you cut off the other horse's nose. Can it be backed up a bit? But I like the way his hair is flying as well as the horse's mane.

These faires are a lot of fun. I've only been to one but hope to go to the Maryland one in the fall.

Thanks for posting.
05-19-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This event is so cool!

The first shot will convert well to B+W
05-19-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots!!! I agree with Mel #2 & #5 are the stand outs here for reasons mentioned. Nice work

05-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
WJW
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Way cool. I like 2 and 5 the best. In 2 I like the composition and expression. I'm not really sure about the crop (if it is a crop) in 5. I'd like to see a little more space behind the guy on the right. But then you cut off the other horse's nose. Can it be backed up a bit? But I like the way his hair is flying as well as the horse's mane..
Thanks to everyone for the comments. We usually go to this faire about every 2~3 years since it is only about an hours drive, depending on construction and and police.

About #5. It is a compromise crop. I do have the entire horse (right side) but extending the frame either gives a semi-pano shot with some annoying background or a regular frame with lots of annoying background.
05-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
Thanks to everyone for the comments. We usually go to this faire about every 2~3 years since it is only about an hours drive, depending on construction and and police.

About #5. It is a compromise crop. I do have the entire horse (right side) but extending the frame either gives a semi-pano shot with some annoying background or a regular frame with lots of annoying background.
Well in that case, FANTASTIC! These are really a lot of fun. The only time I went to one of these was actually in Texas. I can't remember where exactly but it was when we lived in Austin and it was a bit east of there-ish, I think. I'm looking forward to going to the one here, this time with camera.
05-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Banned

I went there many times as a kid, wonderful memories. thanks for sharing. is it still being held in Waxahachie?

05-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
WJW
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still in Waxahachie after 27 years. The first time we went was in 1985 and it has certainly changed.

Mel, that would have been Excalibur if it was very close to Austin and the Texas RenFest if it was over between Bryan and Houston. I have been to TRF but not Excalibur.
05-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
Still in Waxahachie after 27 years. The first time we went was in 1985 and it has certainly changed.

Mel, that would have been Excalibur if it was very close to Austin and the Texas RenFest if it was over between Bryan and Houston. I have been to TRF but not Excalibur.
Texas RenFest sounds familiar. I really enjoyed it but my only complaint was that the food available was really hard for small children to eat. Our twins were about 3 at the time and we had a hard time feeding them there. The big ol' turkey drumsticks were just too hard for them to deal with

We didn't know enough to bring along our own as it was the first time we had ever been to one.
05-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Really nice. Sir Roddrick looks like the real thing.

Jer