Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
2014 Colby Fire
Lens: Sigma 50-500 OS Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Glendora, CA 
Posted By: crewl1, 11-11-2014, 12:59 AM

In January we had an early start to our California fire season, with one of the driest and hottest winters on record.
QuoteQuote:
The Colby Fire was a wildfire in the Angeles National Forest. It was ignited along the Colby Truck Trail in the San Gabriel Mountains in northern Los Angeles County, United States. The fire started on January 16, 2014 and eventually burned 1,992 acres. On January 25, the Colby Fire had burned 1,962 acres, and was 98% contained.[8][11] The fire, which was fanned by strong Santa Ana winds, destroyed 5 homes, injured one person, and forced the evacuation of 3,600 people at its peak.[8][8][9]
Three men in their early 20s were arrested for recklessly starting a fire, and have allegedly admitted starting an illegal campfire that blew out of control.
It was thrilling for me to be able to get close enough to see how the firefighters on the ground and in the air worked to get the fire under control.

The air attack was a ballet orchestrated by an air boss from a small airplane circling the site and directing the aircraft to make drops on hot spots and also keep them from crashing into each other.

Sadly we lost a pilot this year while battling a fire in Yosemite, he was flying a tanker similar to the white one seen dropping the orange fire retardant.

Fingers crossed that next year will bring us some much needed rain.

Views: 1,429
11-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you get the firemen some of these shots? Especially the one of them on the hill? I know its LA and you probably werent alone up there shooting, but would be nice to get the workers some shots of their heroics.....
11-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
Did you get the firemen some of these shots? Especially the one of them on the hill? I know its LA and you probably werent alone up there shooting, but would be nice to get the workers some shots of their heroics.....
I did not do that, but it is a great suggestion, thanks. I will see if Cal Fire can take submissions.
All the personnel were extremely busy so I just stayed out of the way behind the police lines.
11-11-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think there must be so many amazing photo of these guys floating around that they never get to see.....couldnt hurt to drop off a blow up or a cd...and wish them a good day one day when you have the time....maybe you'll get some good portraits of the local dalmatian while you're there!

11-11-2014, 02:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Awful this happens but what a photo opportunity! That's a great idea to give them their shots later, I've no doubt they would appreciate It.
11-11-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, yes I will follow up and see how it turns out.
11-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

wow nice shots! not the fire but the photos. I know fire is not something you play with.. had a bad indecent once on the farm.
11-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johan kruger Quote
wow nice shots! not the fire but the photos. I know fire is not something you play with.. had a bad indecent once on the farm.
Thank you. Sorry to hear about your incident, for the folks who suffer through it it is devastating.

11-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very, very nice captures ... hope that the fire damage was not too great. I don't follow these events in the States ... J
11-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
MSL
Veteran Member

Where were you relative to the fire? How did you get yourself embedded into this fire to take the shots?
You've covered much of the story well.

Sadly, it is one that is going to be played out more often, due to a number of poor policy decisions over the years, and also the ongoing lack of water.
11-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Very, very nice captures ... hope that the fire damage was not too great. I don't follow these events in the States ... J
We have them quite often in California, there is always some amount of damage depending on how close to structures they occur.

---------- Post added 11-11-14 at 09:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Where were you relative to the fire? How did you get yourself embedded into this fire to take the shots? You've covered much of the story well. Sadly, it is one that is going to be played out more often, due to a number of poor policy decisions over the years, and also the ongoing lack of water.
This fire occurred in a community that is nestled in the hillsides, so I did not get any special access. I just drove as close as the police would permit and the Bigma did the work.
The shots that look like I am above the helicopters is because they climb vertically very close to the hillside so it appears I am higher but I am not.
The helicopters were filling up at a reservoir nearby so I hiked over to watch that activity also.

Our area is so dry and people are careless and even malicious, that these are a common occurrence.
11-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice reportage!
11-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice reportage!
Thanks K!
11-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just found the Cal Fire Flickr page and will contact them to see if they want any of my photos. Thanks for the suggestion.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/calfire
11-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shooting Larry. It's impressive watching the tankers make their runs.