Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
An Afternoon in "Bimmer Land"
Camera: Panasonic LX-5 Photo Location: NRG Park, Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 11-12-2014, 09:44 AM

On Sunday, my family, a friend and I participated in an autocross sponsored by BMW at NRG Park in Houston. There were various activities available, including the opportunity to drive some heavy-duty BMWs on the street and displays of some of BMW's latest models. Here are some shots of the company's new hybrid GT, the i8.

My performance at the autocross in a BMW 535i was abysmal, an abrupt and unwelcome revelation that I'm an inept and talentless driver . Fortunately, Mother Nature - through the miracle of neurochemistry - provides us with the mechanism of Rationalization, a process that allows us to assign bitter reality to the periphery and thus to maintain at least a modicum of self esteem. My rationalization is simply that I'm accustomed to driving a 2900-lb, mid-engine Porsche roadster and was unable to transition to a 2-ton, front-engine sedan. This, of course, is utter crap, but I'll keep repeating it to myself and perhaps I'll come to believe it. If not, I'm going to chuck my cars and do something different - like buy a sailboat.

Here's a pic of my wife Connie struggling to exit the i8; my daughter, Abbie (at the extreme right edge of the frame) is glancing backwards worried about the fate of her mother:

My smiling son-in-law, in the white cap, celebrating Connie's successful extraction from the car's cockpit:

A couple of photos of a strikingly suave and debonair gentleman examining the i8:

Abbie looks right at home in the i8:

Last edited by Sailor; 11-12-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: My syntax is as bad as my driving.
Views: 1,254
11-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots of the i8. Too bad you couldn't get to drive it!
11-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That gentleman in picture # 3 looks like a younger Cary Grant.

Nice car.

My favourite BMW 4 wheeler is the '50's BMW 507. Great looking car.

Favourite2 wheeler....the BMW motorcycle is the 1960's BMW R69S , boxer twin.
11-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I had a feeling that you would be more into the land boats Jer as time goes on. Nice shots.--charliezap

11-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice shots of the i8. Too bad you couldn't get to drive it!
Thanks, Steve. And you're right - it wasn't available for a test drive. Frankly, the styling is a bit to "millennial" for me, but it is definitely one cool production.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That gentleman in picture # 3 looks like a younger Cary Grant.

Nice car.

My favourite BMW 4 wheeler is the '50's BMW 507. Great looking car.

Favourite2 wheeler....the BMW motorcycle is the 1960's BMW R69S , boxer twin.
Les, I think all of us BimmerFolk love the 507. I don't know anything about BMW's motorcycles, but I have a nice little story about my granddaughter, Claire, who I indoctrinated with the expression: "The Ultimate Driving Machine." About a year ago (she would have been 9), she came across a BMW motorcycle, saw the Roundel and declared with indignation: "Mom, this is not an Ultimate Driving Machine." I explained that, according to BMW, it is the Ultimate Riding Machine, and her world was once again balanced.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I had a feeling that you would be more into the land boats Jer as time goes on. Nice shots.--charliezap
Hey, Capn, who knows what the future holds?

Jer
11-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

smaller is sometimes better buddy, I enjoyed driving my Vette's more than I did my Ford Tractor at home, you're right about the balance issue . that i8 is quite nice, you look great in it for sure, but if I were you, I would stick within the "P" world, just sayin'.
11-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sports cars keep you young and flexible - or at least pretending to be when you park in public.

What happens if someone parks in the space next to an i8?

11-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could get jealous...........

Last edited by eaglem; 11-12-2014 at 10:46 PM.
11-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Man that is sweet! If you have the right connections and can swing a 2 for 1 deal, can you get me one? Thanks!
11-13-2014, 06:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
smaller is sometimes better buddy, I enjoyed driving my Vette's more than I did my Ford Tractor at home, you're right about the balance issue . that i8 is quite nice, you look great in it for sure, but if I were you, I would stick within the "P" world, just sayin'.
I hear you, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Sports cars keep you young and flexible - or at least pretending to be when you park in public.

What happens if someone parks in the space next to an i8?
That, my friend, is a good question.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I could get jealous...........
No need, EM. I ordered you one while I was there.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Man that is sweet! If you have the right connections and can swing a 2 for 1 deal, can you get me one? Thanks!
I'm on it, Jerry.

Jer
11-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What a sweet car. Did you get to drive it?
11-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
What a sweet car. Did you get to drive it?
It's pretty striking - that's for sure. There was no chance to drive it a this affair, but once they get further into circulation I might give one a try.

Jer