Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Getting Fall Colors
Lens: 55mm f1.8 Camera: k-5 Photo Location: Kyramis Kazakhstan 
Posted By: Bob O, 11-13-2014, 09:58 PM

This was next to a stream nearby. With fall colors changing so quickly its hard to know if what I see on screen is how it looked. For many its how it best looks in the end.
I only added a touch of increase in contrast here. What do you think? Would you have given more depth of field or less?
How do you best gauge screen color accuracy and then how to best plan for printing?
~Bob

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 801
11-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a really lovely shot, especially with the light from above. I think you nailed the DOF just fine.
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
How do you best gauge screen color accuracy
Which screen are you talking about?

If it's the back of the camera,I don't. To me it's only good as a framing tool, a closeup focusing LiveView window, and for checking histograms, but even that is very imperfect as you are looking at an interpretation of a jpeg.

If it is your monitor, calibrate it with a hardware device for starters. But really, you have to develop your own inner sense of right color at the time of shooting, and then deal with that during post processing. You can also use color checker charts etc. but that requires more discipline.
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
how to best plan for printing?
"[P]lan" is the right word here. Depends on your reproduction requirements. How large, what type of paper, who is printing it are all appropriate questions to ask and then research.

M
11-14-2014, 05:10 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the encouraging words, I was referring to screen/monitor at home. The photolab is another story how some tweak what they think is best with lighting (at least the few good ones here in Almaty, Kazakhstan. I use smug mug to send prints to family in the US.

It looked like you have sold several lenses over the years. Trying to get rid of any?