Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Clickety-Clack
Posted By: Bob Harris, 11-14-2014, 02:11 AM

The coal trains run almost every hour it seems as we camped in the small town of Cut Bank, Montana. I read where this is a disappearing and outdated power source, but it appears someone must still be using this resource that remains in abundance in many parts of the USA. I wonder if one day the last train will cross this track and what source will be used for our energy needs.

Attached Images

Views: 2,550
11-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Man, brother Bob - this is a top-notch piece of photography. I dig the mood and treatment - you gotta contest winner here, old buddy.

Jer
thanks Jer, I usually don't mess with editing like this but as Terri says "Bob you have way too much time on your hands", so I had a Merlot and this was the outcome.

---------- Post added 11-21-14 at 07:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
This is a really great shot Bob. It is both futuristic and apocalyptic. The car placement is perfect - they look like clones!
I had to move down the mountain a bit Joi to get the exact distance between the cars and was very happy with the result of my little hike. Glad you liked the view and thanks for the kind review.

11-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I wonder just how tons are behind those loco engine(s) when they're fully laden?
11-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Absolutely great picture.

Congrats!
11-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #19

professional!!!

11-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I wonder just how tons are behind those loco engine(s) when they're fully laden?
not really sure but the trains pull over 150 cars loaded with coal so that's a lot of weight.

---------- Post added 11-28-14 at 07:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by takis63 Quote
Absolutely great picture.

Congrats!
thanks for the kind review, much appreciated.

---------- Post added 11-28-14 at 07:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nick_ Quote
professional!!!
you probably know how it is, take and process enough photos and eventually you will get a good one.
11-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #21

Love the shot! Unfortunately i think we have a long ways to go before we see that line of cars stay empty and stuck in time as pictured.
11-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot. Not sure if I like the upper part though, maybe it's too yellowish.

11-30-2014, 01:36 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rabblefrabble Quote
Love the shot! Unfortunately i think we have a long ways to go before we see that line of cars stay empty and stuck in time as pictured.
It's a great stable energy source that we should take advantage of while we can until a viable source can be achieved. Thanks for viewing and glad you enjoyed the view.

---------- Post added 11-30-14 at 12:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Nice shot. Not sure if I like the upper part though, maybe it's too yellowish.
and yet I do, that is the fun of making a photo something that the photographer enjoys. Thanks for viewing, glad you enjoyed the view, not the coloring.
07-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
The coal trains run almost every hour it seems as we camped in the small town of Cut Bank, Montana. I read where this is a disappearing and outdated power source, but it appears someone must still be using this resource that remains in abundance in many parts of the USA. I wonder if one day the last train will cross this track and what source will be used for our energy needs.
Oh, yeah.
08-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I really like this shot!

thumbsup
08-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a very unique style that I really like! Kind of gives it a post-apocolyptic look.
08-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would love to do some landscape shots there. That grassland look like a nice texture.
10-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #28
Forum Member

Fantastic capture and old-time treatment for a scene of a coal train.
10-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Nice image. Here in Minnesota our largest electrical generating plant burns coal---three 110 car trains per day! On winter mornings the smoke stack plumes,of mostly water vapor create ice fog on US highway 10 and I94 on opposite sides of the Mississippi River.
I live within hearing of the Union Pacific east/west man line at St. Louis. Over the last five years the frequency of 110 car unit coal trains has dropped from 12-14 a day to 4-5 as natural gas has replaced Wyoming coal as the fuel source at electric generating plants in the Southeast.

@.Bob Harris. Fabulous, evocative photo. Classic composition and interesting light.
10-29-2019, 04:22 AM   #30
Pentaxian

magnificent frame! everything seems exactly right here i like the composition very much and the sky tone tops that all with originality.