Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Local Carshoot
Posted By: gtolentino2, 05-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I've got some friends who have been approached with an opportunity to be featured on a car magazine. I've taken some sample shots to provide to the magazine editor, here's what we managed to capture:

Strobist Info:
- 1 GI Triggered Sunpak 422d 1/4 power pointed towards grill of the car (bare)
- 1 GI Triggered Digital Concept flash 1/2 power with stofen camera left on the body of the car

HDR Infinity G35

Strobist Info:

- 1 GI Trigger bare Sunpak 422d camera right 1/4 power pointed towards front of car
- 1 GI Trigger Digital Concept stofen camera Left aimed at model 1/2 power

C&C is always welcomed, there's many more shots on my flickr stream, but I felt these were the best. Let me know what you guys think!
Views: 1,602
05-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love 'em. Especially the last one. Cars are among my favorite subjects, and your stylized treatment of these is very nice.

Thanks,

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-20-2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: lousy grammar
05-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #3

Cool Shots. The only thing I see is that the interior door panels on the first shot are not seperated from the background building very well. Other than that, excellent.
05-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the words, Romoman - i completely agree, it was just one of those times where you say "i wish i had another flash"

05-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like them On the first on for my taste the very upper portion of the sky is just a tad bit too bright and draws my eye away from the car because it is brighter than the car.

I really love than and have a new found respect and interest in car shoots now that I have done my first car show Love seeing these
05-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Really like the overall colors on the first one.

The HDR just isn't getting it done on #2.

# 3 is solid and competent, but I'd really have to see it with knowledge of the page layout to know if it would work. It's solid, but a bit low key.
05-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
pic 1 is my fav... well done. I really want to take my car pics to another level and your pics have given me quite a lot of inspiration and guidance. just out of curiosity, what time of day did you take that first pic?

05-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nicely done

cheers
05-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
pic 1 is my fav... well done. I really want to take my car pics to another level and your pics have given me quite a lot of inspiration and guidance. just out of curiosity, what time of day did you take that first pic?
Thanks for the comments - shooting cars is great! its always been my passion. As for your question, the first pic was shot around 7-8pm on a relatively cloudy day...the sun was setting by this point and we were losing light quite quickly. I managed to get this shot off in time before all of the sky was pure black.
05-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #10

simply amazing, you are waaay above my level of car shooting! Would you mind maybe sharing some PP tips? What lens did you use to shoot these?
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by libbe Quote
simply amazing, you are waaay above my level of car shooting! Would you mind maybe sharing some PP tips? What lens did you use to shoot these?
Most of my post processing tips come from color correction and sharpening (not too much though!) From time to time I'll use brightness and contrast to get the colors just to where they should be. For the HDR shots, I tend to do use the dodge/burn tool on the body panels of the car which give it a 'neat' effect.