Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Got some more birds today; need help with three
Posted By: SouthShoreRob, 05-19-2008, 04:00 PM

Went out early this AM to Point Pelee National Park. Fantastic natural conservation area you should try to visit at least once in your life. We (locals) here try to go at least once or twice a year. Any how, I nailed down some pretty common stuff - purple martins, red wing blackbirds, etc. - but also a few I am not yet familiar with. Can you look over these three and let me know what you think?

First one was black on top with white under belly and red coating. Second was really small yellow guy, and third I think is a yellow warbler but I could be wrong.

Last edited by SouthShoreRob; 03-17-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Views: 1,449
05-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,276
#1 is an adult male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
#2 - you are correct - a Yellow Warbler
#3 is either a Northern or a Baltimore Oriole, depending on the vibrancy of the orange breast - I think a Baltimore.

Google is your friend if you have a place to start (I guessed 1 and 3).
05-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,675
Boy, that takes all the fun out of it when the first guys gets it right!
It's like 'Jeopardy' and I was too slow on hitting the button.

J/K! Nice shots Rob! We rarely get to see Baltimore Orioles this far north so it's nice you have captured one.

Thanks for sharing.
05-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
SouthShoreRob
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
#1 is an adult male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
#2 - you are correct - a Yellow Warbler
#3 is either a Northern or a Baltimore Oriole, depending on the vibrancy of the orange breast - I think a Baltimore.

Google is your friend if you have a place to start (I guessed 1 and 3).
Indeed, Google is great. However, I do like to have my Pentax brethren share their knowledge as well. Thanks for you help!

05-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
SouthShoreRob
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Boy, that takes all the fun out of it when the first guys gets it right!
It's like 'Jeopardy' and I was too slow on hitting the button.

J/K! Nice shots Rob! We rarely get to see Baltimore Orioles this far north so it's nice you have captured one.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words. For what it's worth, down here in the extreme south we actually see the Oriole pretty commonly. Today I saw more than usual, being at the point, but I'll even see them in the backyard from time to time. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any in the viewfinder within "acceptable" range of my FA* 200mm. This crop shows its limitations.
05-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
Pretty darn good for using only a 200mm!!!! Regardless of whether it's a heavy crop or not - and I have a 300mm and 500mm...

Regards,
Marc
05-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,276
Bird Photos

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
Indeed, Google is great. However, I do like to have my Pentax brethren share their knowledge as well. Thanks for you help!
YVW - Sometimes I get so excited by the game aspect of the reply that I forget this is a photo site. These are nice caps of challenging birds-something I've never been able to do with any success, other than ducks on the pond. I liek the sky color in 1 with the rose - good that it didn't wash out. Did you use a PL or CPL?

05-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
SouthShoreRob
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Pretty darn good for using only a 200mm!!!! Regardless of whether it's a heavy crop or not - and I have a 300mm and 500mm...

Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc!
05-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member
rmtagg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warrington, PA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,271
I am sure loving the second pic you posted!!!!!!!!!
05-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
SouthShoreRob
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
YVW - Sometimes I get so excited by the game aspect of the reply that I forget this is a photo site. These are nice caps of challenging birds-something I've never been able to do with any success, other than ducks on the pond. I liek the sky color in 1 with the rose - good that it didn't wash out. Did you use a PL or CPL?
K10D with FA*200mm but no polarizer whatsoever. Just your standard UV filter. The area in which I found the Grosbeak was fairly dense tree cover so while it was bright, it was not direct sunlight. I like the look too, just wish he had been a little lower to the ground.

Here are three more...again, thanks for looking...

Last edited by SouthShoreRob; 03-17-2009 at 05:17 AM.
05-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member
cupic's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia-NSW
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,818
Birds are nice especially when paired together


cheers
05-20-2008, 03:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,412
I see a lot of pic #2, second post, in my area (northern VA). My retirement community has a lot of ponds, and my daily walk takes me around a fairly large one, and I see a lot of these particular birds perched on the reeds. I have taken some pics (not good at all) of them, and they appear to be rather skittish.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Two birds from today scott-devon Post Your Photos! 4 01-17-2010 01:47 PM
More Birds from Today Jimbo Post Your Photos! 12 02-15-2009 10:20 PM
a few birds from today Taff Post Your Photos! 16 11-15-2008 10:23 PM
A few birds from today palmor Post Your Photos! 7 06-03-2007 06:12 AM
A couple of birds from today Andrew Faires Post Your Photos! 8 02-11-2007 01:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top